Halloween/Thanksgiving Hatch-a-Long 2019

Pics
I have just a parakeet. But I want to make an outdoor aviary for quail... Can buttons go with them?
With parakeets? I had Fitz in with my two budgies for a while when I didn't have a pen lined up for him. They freaked out at first but they got along after a while.

With parakeets? I had Fitz in with my two budgies for a while when I didn't have a pen lined up for him. They freaked out at first but they got along after a while.
No with quail. My parakeet will kill it. My parakeet had a girl with him and he killed her, he's a loner bird. She would chirp loudly at him all day, the owners said they were together since day 1. One day he had enough of her bickering I guess

that is similar to the “vision” DH has for my aviary.....once i get the new netting installed and the indoor room built, we are planning to add more variety of birds including parakeets, cockatiels, and diamond doves....not sure yet if the finches will be able to go outside, but :fl

That sounds like an amazing idea!! And I’m sure they can!! I think I’ve seen pics of finch aviaries before.

I have just a parakeet. But I want to make an outdoor aviary for quail... Can buttons go with them?

Probably.

benjamin button was in the aviary for several months with quail, chukars, and pheasants and was perfectly happy as he spent time with most of them in the brooder. I had planned, however, to bring him indoors for winter as they don’t tolerate temps below 50* as well as cots and the other birds do.

That’s a good idea. Do you think parakeets and cockatiels would have to go inside too?? Or would they be okay? Maybe I could have a heated indoor space or something??

Do you think if they were raised together from the beginning they’d be okay? Or maybe like if they both went in a totally new environment at the same time??

No with quail. My parakeet will kill it. My parakeet had a girl with him and he killed her, he's a loner bird. She would chirp loudly at him all day, the owners said they were together since day 1. One day he had enough of her bickering I guess

Now he teases the cat who is determined to get him

OMG!!

He sounds a little crazy. :lau

OMG!!

He sounds a little crazy. :lau
He is. His owners dumped them off at Petco before the store was open with a note from the owner saying they could no longer care for them after 3 years. You can't touch him because he flips. He just does his own thing in his cage and teases the cat. He likes to peck the bars of his cage and make music, it's hilarious.

We bought them a cage twice the size that they were in and tons of toys at petco, they gave us a huge discount on everything because we helped them out.

That sounds like an amazing idea!! And I’m sure they can!! I think I’ve seen pics of finch aviaries before.

Probably.

That’s a good idea. Do you think parakeets and cockatiels would have to go inside too?? Or would they be okay? Maybe I could have a heated indoor space or something??

Do you think if they were raised together from the beginning they’d be okay? Or maybe like if they both went in a totally new environment at the same time??
yes “exotics” parakeets, cockatiels etc have to have a heated area for winter.....indoors in some way. and just like all “mixed flocks” integration can be challenging sometimes and there can always be a “bully” in the mix. i lost my conure to “cold” inside the house several years ago....we had a few really warm days in march and DH turned on a/c and forgot to reset thermostat before we left on a trip.....the temps dropped while we were gone and the “pet sitter” didn’t notice until too late!!

Buttons are fakers.
Tiny quail.

Day 4.
Watch on the left side for the alien.

you can “drop by” and grab some of my eggs!! out of nearly 40 candled on day 4.....30 are fertile and developing!! BIG difference in development from day 1-3 spot candling!!! still a couple more rows to candle in the big bator and then candle small bator. not pulling clears until later unless cracked......:th

He is. His owners dumped them off at Petco before the store was open with a note from the owner saying they could no longer care for them after 3 years. You can't touch him because he flips. He just does his own thing in his cage and teases the cat. He likes to peck the bars of his cage and make music, it's hilarious.

We bought them a cage twice the size that they were in and tons of toys at petco, they gave us a huge discount on everything because we helped them out.

Awww poor guy :( glad you found him!

yes “exotics” parakeets, cockatiels etc have to have a heated area for winter.....indoors in some way. and just like all “mixed flocks” integration can be challenging sometimes and there can always be a “bully” in the mix. i lost my conure to “cold” inside the house several years ago....we had a few really warm days in march and DH turned on a/c and forgot to reset thermostat before we left on a trip.....the temps dropped while we were gone and the “pet sitter” didn’t notice until too late!!

OMG that’s awful!! :hit :hugs

Thanks for the info though. Very good to know.

My ducks are the cutest things ever

View attachment 1937054

20191016_102916.jpg
20191015_135445.jpg
20191015_135452.jpg
20191015_135503.jpg
I thought mine were the cutest ever, hmph?

Back
Top Bottom