Halloween :)

Yea that's what trunk or treat is it really takes the fun out of it! Oh and Henrietta I wish I lived in CT because down in North Carolina its still 85 when Halloween comes, and leaves are not even falling yet!

Quote:
Lame

At least here they let the kid go to the mall and trick or treat there:rolleyes: Because it's safer. Ah ha. Because it's a way to get people in to spend more money on expensive toys and clothes while they are there.

We get students from the college, which is less than a mile from the house. As long as the people that come to the porch are in costume I have no problems with handing out candy.
No costume and you get the candy from the "no costume" bowl:lol:

Wow. Glad I never heard of it. I am thankful I was born to a family that didn't think children needed styrofoam duct taped around them at all times. We were always falling out of trees, having close calls with wildlife, riding bikes without helmets . . . it's a wonder we're not dead. My parents never even considered looking at our Halloween candy to make sure it wasn't contaminated. I'd eat the apples and popcorn, my brothers would dig into the candy, and the only thing we ever suffered from was upset tummies from eating too much. Anyway, I've heard that tampered candy is much like murder . . . it's usually done by a relative. People worry too much.

I feel kinda bad when people mention not wanting to pass out candy to the teenagers . . . I Trick or Treated until I was 17, and the only reason I stopped then was because I started going to haunted houses instead. I don't like candy, so I always gave it to my younger relatives, but it was fun, and you're never too old for fun. There were always one or two people who would give me "the look," but oh well. My mother and I still set out presents from Santa in the middle of the night, and hide Easter eggs at 3 am, even though there are no young children in the family anymore. Why are people so against teenagers trick or treating? Is it because they're rude? Because I've never encountered that. I hope I was considered polite when I did it. Eep.

Quote:
Sounds like my family growing up...we really got into the holidays.
big_smile.png

Around here, teens usually go with older kids because (by then) the mom and dad are sort of bored with the "walking up to every doorstep with Junior" routine, so they sit in the warm car at the end of the street with a book while an older brother or sister or cousin walks them to the houses.

I give candy to anyone who is dressed up, but I don't leave my pumpkins on my doorstep for the pranksters after trick-or-treating is over.

Teens with sweatshirts and jeans on are annoying... They just want the candy, but they don't want to go through with following the traditions. I usually ignore them, especially if they come up with a group of little kids who are dressed up. I act like they're just being the mom or dad and don't give them candy. When they tell me they're trick-or-treating, too, I say, "Oh! I didn't think you were because you aren't dressed up," and give them something really small. Ha ha.

Its nice to live in a small town where the kids (even adult ones!
smile.png
) still go trick or treating door to door. I LOVE Halloween!
My daughter lives in a place in VA where they do "trunk or treat". Its just not the same.
Ditto to not being raised taped up in styrofoam! We were allowed to be kids. Yes, I know in this day and age it might be more risky and certain precautions are just common sense, but there are people that take it TOO far.

I most generally try to go all out for Halloween. I have always been fond of this holiday, as it is my birthday! When I was a little girl I always thought that I had the coolest birthday ever! I mean, who else gets to have everyone in the country celebrate their birthday?!?! LOL!

Just curious. It seems like most of the people here who have strong Halloween traditions are not in the south. It seems that people here are frightened of Halloween.
hit.gif

Am I the only person who sees the Halloween tradition of going from home to home slowly disappearing.

It's sad that Halloween is not like it used to be. I'll be 35 in Sept. (no kids yet) but it's sad to think that if my DH and I do have a child, it won't get to experience Halloween like we did as children. We live in an area that has lots of kids. Actually, there's an elementary school at the end of our street. We've lived here for almost 10yrs. and we only get one family that comes by to trick or treat. The first year we moved here (from Baltimore) we bought a ton of candy b/c we thought it'd be the same as there. Not one child came by. Only in the past 2 yrs or so has the family down the road been coming by.

Lots of kids here go trick or treating at the mall!!! That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Rhett&Sarah'smom, that sounds awesome!

I need to take two weeks of vacation yet this year, or I lose it. I was thinking I'd take a nice long October vacation to do all the local stuff: go to the Topsfield and Old Sturbridge Village Fairs, drive out to Salem for a couple of days and do all their Halloween-y stuff, maybe take a boat tour on one of the re-created privateer ships, take a day to kayak down the Deerfield River while the leaves are turning. I shall put the Barrett Mansion on the list, I haven't been to a good haunted house in ages!

We always decorate for Halloween, and have a big party. I have a whole bunch of little miniature houses that have ghost lights inside of them, and I arrange a little Halloween village on the mantel every year. I have a goofy Colonial period costume to go with my Colonial house, so I wear that and do a bunch of white makeup and put powder in my hair, I'm the household ghost. And we have several really great spooky-noise CDs, plus innumerable horror movies to watch. I think this year we are going to do a Lovecraft theme.

Boy, when I was a little kid, not only did we not worry about poison candy, we ate homemade treats! I'll never forget our neighbor Mrs. Roy, who made the best treat bags for us--homemade lollipops, sugar cookies in the shape of bats and cats, candied apples, popcorn balls... And the neighbors used to go all out making their front entryways into haunted houses.

Back
Top Bottom