Halloween :)

You know, as far as trunk or treat goes......is it ruining Halloween? No, not at all. Halloween is being ruined by a general fear of the people around us and trunk or treat is the answer to that. I don't do trunk or treat because it is generally in church parking lots. I won't have anything to do with their churches any other time, why would I take their candy. I do, however, take my kids to the stores/businesses that are giving out candy and to houses of people we know. I would give almost anything for Halloween to be the way it was when I was a kid, but it can't be. I also wish my kids could ride their bikes up and down the road as far as they want, walk for miles alone, and yeah, take candy from strangers. But, I would rather keep them and that just isn't the way to do it in today's world.
sad.png
Sad but true. Living on a military base is different, however....I currently don't and I miss it. You have almost every house decorated and most houses have someone handing out candy. Cops are on patrol the entire time to keep things orderly, but otherwise feels very old fashioned!!!!
smile.png

I actually am very thankful for Trunk or Treat. Our school puts in on every year because we live in a pretty rural area. There are no sidewalks or even street lights on many of our roads. If we didn't have the trunk or treat our kids just wouldn't have Halloween in our town. We don't trunk or treat because we are fearful of anything. It's because it is a way to show community spirit on a fun night.

We also go to a friends neighborhood on Halloween night and trick or treat with them....so my children are not missing out on anything.

Last edited:
Quote:
My husband and I moved to our area 13 years ago and started the Trunk-or-Treat tradition here. We are so rural and it's scary to take our kids to strangers houses with the kind of people that are out there now. We always have a great turn out at our church for the Trunk-or-Treating and everyone is always welcome, members and non-members alike. It is fun and safe for the kids! They always go home with more candy than they ever need! As a matter of fact, half of it usually goes to the fire dept. with my husband for all of the other fire fighters.
smile.png

Last edited:
I think Halloween is just plain fun.... It's one of those holidays that really does not require anything of you except some big bags of candy & a few decorations/homemade costumes even!

WHen I was little we could trick or treat by ourselves which was always great fun, but sadly, most kids cannot do that today.

I live on a dead-end where no one trick or treats (mostly retired folks here, too, who love my chickens BTW!) So now I take my kids to a very nice subdivision that is very "kid-friendly" & the houses are wonderfully decorated!! It is a lot of good fun seeing all the kids dressed up. We always go out to eat beforehand with our neighors, too. ....... just plain fun!
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

It's all about the "BOO!!"
ep.gif

Quote:
We really make it a lot of fun to do! We have a big chili cook-off for the adults, costume contest, play games, and decorate all of the trunks. We even give a trophy for the best decorated trunk, so people really go all out. I think my DH is planning a maze for the kids to have to go through to get to the trunk this year! It really is a whole lot of fun!

One of our favorite Halloween nights was at our rural school where you went from classroom to classroom, playing games, and getting prizes or candy. You had to work for what you got. It wasn't just handed to you. It was a great evening!

That is not what I consider trunk or treat.

UT is trunk or treat land. The idea isn't to build community spirit. It is to get this done and out of the way ASAP.

You throw the kids in the car - dress optional
drive to the church parking lot
run from car to car
Starts at 4 done by 4:30-5. (yes, it's still light when they start dropping by here on their way home).
head home or to grandma's.

I've noticed the kid's attitudes have changed. I've actually had more and more ask if "that's all there is". The kids that don't do trunk or treat are much more enjoyable because they don't take it for granted that you get something for nothing.

Those of you who put some community spirit into your trunk or treat activities - I applaud you!

And for those who worry about the dangers of trick or treating. You should go read about the truth behind the scares - the razorblades, needles and poisoned candy. They are urban legends.

Take back the night, get to know your neighbors, dress up with the kids and hit the streets.

Last edited:
when I was a kid T or T was HUGE on my street.
Nearly all the kids on the street(and it is a LONG street with side roads!) were the same age and went to 2 different schools in the town.
You didnt go down Sherick Ave. That was asking to be egged! LOL You didnt go to the big Victorian next to the empty lot. That was reserved for the older(braver) kids
Heck. My own home(moms house) was considered a house only the brave went to because it is known to be haunted.

Now? My mom hasnt bought candy in years for Halloween. The street is a virtual straight away race strip. There are sidewalks.And lights. But people FLY down that road and it just is not safe anymore for kids to be out. At any time of the day. Even in broad daylight. Kids no longer play in the "front yard" Only the side or back. Getting the mail if you dont live on the side with the mail boxes is like taking your life into your own hands. So I get why no kids go out on her street anymore. Plus. Most of the people on the street now are older. Retired. No kids. Or newly married with kids that are just too young to be out. I cant stand it when parents dress up their infants or barely walkers and take them house to house for candy. I mean come on. Are you seriously thinking of giving that 3 month old a snickers bar?(they get the candy from the no costume bowl BTW)

Speaking of which.. Do you buy the "good candy" or the cheap candy?
We buy only the "good" candy. Snickers, Milky Way, Kit Kat etc. ie CHOCOLATE! My reasons? #1 I dont want to be egged. #2 If we have leftovers I want it to be something I will ruin my diet for with GUSTO!
big_smile.png

when I was a kid T or T was HUGE on my street.
Nearly all the kids on the street(and it is a LONG street with side roads!) were the same age and went to 2 different schools in the town.
You didnt go down Sherick Ave. That was asking to be egged! LOL You didnt go to the big Victorian next to the empty lot. That was reserved for the older(braver) kids
Heck. My own home(moms house) was considered a house only the brave went to because it is known to be haunted.

Now? My mom hasnt bought candy in years for Halloween. The street is a virtual straight away race strip. There are sidewalks.And lights. But people FLY down that road and it just is not safe anymore for kids to be out. At any time of the day. Even in broad daylight. Kids no longer play in the "front yard" Only the side or back. Getting the mail if you dont live on the side with the mail boxes is like taking your life into your own hands. So I get why no kids go out on her street anymore. Plus. Most of the people on the street now are older. Retired. No kids. Or newly married with kids that are just too young to be out. I cant stand it when parents dress up their infants or barely walkers and take them house to house for candy. I mean come on. Are you seriously thinking of giving that 3 month old a snickers bar?(they get the candy from the no costume bowl BTW)

Speaking of which.. Do you buy the "good candy" or the cheap candy?
We buy only the "good" candy. Snickers, Milky Way, Kit Kat etc. ie CHOCOLATE! My reasons? #1 I dont want to be egged. #2 If we have leftovers I want it to be something I will ruin my diet for with GUSTO!
big_smile.png

BTW check this out if you are in MA or planning to be in October!!

http://www.bhmansion.com/

sorry about the double post.

Last edited:
WEll Trick or Treat here is still an old fashion tradition, round here the halloween fun starts as early as the end of september with the decorations and looking for all the yard stuff to put out, I hand make all of our costumes, yes I said our, I dress up too, but I don't ask for the candy, but I start looking for ideas for costumes as early as june and asking what everyone wants to be. I tend to make as many as 30 or more costumes for all the kids in the family and for my freinds and neighbors children. so I have to start early that way I can still have time to decorate the house and yard. We start out here in oklahoma we live on the state boarder on OK and Ark. Then we move into the town where my mom lives then we move on into Fort Smith and each town also has a trick or treat event thourgh out october that way parents can take their kids trick or treating even if they have to work on halloween. And the kids get enough candy to last them until at least june of the next year, which makes it nice as we but it in the frigde and when we want to give them a treat we don't have to go down to the store to buy it, and its all about saving money these days. On halloween night what i do is we all start getting ready around 2:30 in the afternoon and we take our pictures and play games and then we leave the house around 4 pm since we live 30 mins from the nearest town and 45 from fort smith we then go to all the family and grandparents houses until it getts dark then I take them to the neighbors hoods I think are the safest and hand out the better candy and let them loose and I will stand in the street following and watching as they go from house to house runing and laughing and having a good ole time. I wish that everyone could have the kinda fun my kids are getting but alas the times they are a changing. but i will do my best to give my children good ole fashion memories to look back on when they have grown.

Back
Top Bottom