Hand hexi quilt

Hope Hughes

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Apr 1, 2017
North FL
My Coop
My Coop
Ok to start i am not a quilter, dont "know" how to sew, and have no idea what i am doing.... with that said...

I was watching CreateTV when I was waiting for my first baby to make her arrival. They were making handmade hexagon quilts. So i figured why not give it a try.
20171111_170636.jpg

And its a slow work in progress.
I wanted to share it with everyone.. maybe get ideas from you pro quilters on the best way to back it to still keep the look of the hexagons the main pattern.(I thought of maybe tracing the little pictures on the hexagons and use that as the attaching sew to the back... ideas??)
20171111_170525.jpg

(Dont look to close at my not so good sewing skills)
This is front and back to see the hand sewing of it.. takes forever!!
20171111_170507.jpg
Im not even close to being done with it but i didnt know if it qould be easier to start the backing now or wait until i am done with it?
20171111_170538.jpg

Any tips would be awesome... seeing how i have no idea what i am doing lol
Thanks!!

You do the tops first, then the backing is generally not pieced, just pieces sewn together so you have a big enough back to match the front. Looks like you are doing a great job! I never made one like that. Generally i sew pieces together in strips and sew the strips on. That quilt looks like you would have to do diagonal strips. Very nice, and good luck!

You do the tops first, then the backing is generally not pieced, just pieces sewn together so you have a big enough back to match the front. Looks like you are doing a great job! I never made one like that. Generally i sew pieces together in strips and sew the strips on. That quilt looks like you would have to do diagonal strips. Very nice, and good luck!
Thanks.... the hexis came out way way way smaller then what they were doing on the show lol my mom has a friend that sews everything for everyone and knits and says im crazy for how i am doing it and how small they are.. o well! Maybe one day my little one can use it(hopefully not when she turns 20 lol)

Omg this is AMAZING!!!
I think you're doing a great job and it looks beautiful. Your baby is very lucky!

I take a lazy method & just use 1 of the fabrics from my quilt for the backing and borders.
No matter what you do with the back, it is already a work of art!
Aww thanks you are so sweet..
Its alot of work i hope she likes it. She is 15 months now and sees me work on it from time to time and wants to sleep on it lol
Again thank you... i kinda just winged it lol

Back
Top Bottom