Hand hexi quilt

Sorry I didnt get back to you last night the baby wanted me to go to bed with her and my prego-ness fell asleep with her lol.
Your quilt top is beautiful! A labor of love! I started quilting a bit over three years ago. After many years focused solely on caring for my kids with special needs, I really, really needed a creative outlet--preferably one that didn't fight back! I found a quilting class at a church, where I was introduced to the pleasure and challenge of creating quilts and the delightful company of other women who were always willing to share their expertise and encouragement.

There are several ways to quilt your finished top once you have added batting and a backing fabric. You can hand quilt it, using a large embroidery hoop or quilting frame, machine quilt it, using your home sewing machine, fitted with a "walking foot," (to keep the top and backing moving through the machine at the same rate so they don't bunch or pucker), or you can tie your quilt. The batting you choose will tell you how much space you can leave between your quilting. The batting has to be strong enough not to tear in the spaces between your quilting when you launder it. The closer together your quilting, the less stress on the batting. Batting will be rated for the number of inches apart that the quilting can be without tearing in between. The Warm and Natural is a good choice and I think it needs unquilted spaces of less than about three inches, though I'm going by memory and could be mistaken. There are numerous tutorials on YouTube and you may also be able to locate a quilting guild or group in your area and find someone who is willing to help you get started.

A fourth option is to hire someone to quilt your quilt for you. Where I live, machine quilting costs about 1-1/2 cents per square inch, just to give you an idea. Professional quilters often have computerized longarm sewing machines on frames that allow them to choose a quilting pattern, then monitor as the machine works its way through the pattern. Some people do custom free-motion quilting that is just beautiful, but it is generally more costly. Professional hand quilting isn't as common as it used to be and I have no idea how much it would cost.

I have machine quilted a few quilts using straight line quilting on my home machine. I'm in the middle of doing my first hand-quilted quilt. I really enjoy it, but am about to have wrist surgery, so it will probably be next summer before I finish it.

I had no idea that I would like quilting as much as I do. I hope that you have found an activity that will give you a lifetime of enjoyment.
All this helps so much thank you!
I will defiantly be on YouTube for when the time comes to finish it...
I wpupd be pulling my hair out trying to decide if im doing it right lol

As I click the placing order button on Amazon for a quilting book... :lau But seriously, I'm going to contemplate starting to quilt! :) It seems like such an enjoyable art.
My Mom bought more books on the subject than quilts she made! But i won on who has the biggest fabric stash!

Here is my bed quilt.
20171129_102658.jpg

Just wanted to share. How is yours coming along, Hope?

Back
Top Bottom