Handicap Chicken (and other poultry) Contest! RESULTS (FINALLY) pg 7

Quote:
OH MY!!!!! That is one seriously cute pic!!! She looks so content to be sitting there. You can tell she knows she is loved!!!!
smile.png

Quote:
OH MY!!!!! That is one seriously cute pic!!! She looks so content to be sitting there. You can tell she knows she is loved!!!!
smile.png

Aww thanks, she is very loved!!

I love all of them that have been posted so far!!
Just think of how much less character would be in our flocks, if we just "Culled them," like most on BYC advise...
If chickens like this made it, then I guess I know never to give up on any of mine.

Breed: Light Brahma x Buff Orpington

How chicken got its handicap:
He was chased around in the "cockerel" pen...the meat pen in other words. I'm assuming they kept him from eating and from roosting off of the frozen ground. One day I went out and there this little boy was...just sitting there and walking around on his black feet. A few weeks later, the feet fell off and he was happy to be footless!

What makes your chicken special besides its defect:
Because of the lack of nutrition, he never crowed or layed an egg, so I'm not sure if it was a boy or girl. He stayed for 2 weeks in my dorm room, wore a diaper and LOVED watching football underneath the dining table. He could TOTALLY walk around by himself and you'd hear this little "tap, tap, tap" as he'd walk around. When he went poo in his diaper, he would give a little "call" and I'd change his diaper. He was an awesome little bird...

Category for Entry:
All of the categories...why only enter for one ya know??? LOL

Camera089.jpg

Happy chicken in the dorm room:
FrodoLarge-1.jpg

It was later found out that he had diabetes. I didn't have the funds to treat him for it, so he was put down.
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah...but take a look at the comb and wattles of him...he was 9 months old.

I couldn't bring myself to do the necropsy to see if he was male or female...so I just recall him as my little "It."

Name: Little Orpington Annie (yeah yeah, bad joke name
hmm.png
but it stuck)

Breed: Buff Orpington

How chicken got its handicap: She arrived this way from the Hatchery. I bought 4 other orpingtons from the people who ordered these chicks and about a week later they called and asked if I was serious about taking their injured chick. I work at a vet so we took an xray and it appears she has a dislocated hip that won't go back into place because of a birth defect causing the hip socket to be too shallow.

What makes your chicken special besides its defect: She is the chick that has made my 5 year old doberman decide that **maybe** all those chicks in the bathroom aren't evil aliens and that **maybe** she needs to watch over them. Annie likes to sit with me, prefers nesting in my hair. Morgan, my 5 year old dobe, wants to make sure she gets to check on her every so often and drives me crazy whining and pawing at me if I don't let her check on Annie whenever she sees fit. Annie also thinks anytime there is ANYTHING in my hand it must be a treat for her . . . .

I think Annie was about 2 weeks old in this picture, it was right after I got her. The leg that is all stretched out in front of her is the injured one. She hobbles around, tries to scratch, and seems happy to be here. It is hard to get a good picture of her standing up without my hand in it since we just took the brace off her legs again (tried treating it like spraddles since it wasn't hurting anything to try that) and she doesn't like to stand still right now, still learning to stand without having to readjust several times since her legs are free again. Holy cow, i'm long winded . . . sorry

DSCF3994.jpg

Here is a semi-decent one of her standing, bad leg pointed out to the front

DSCF4231.jpg

Quote:
All chickens have hackle feathers...
wink.png

Except for showgirls and turkens.

His saddle feathers and sickle feathers also pointed to male, but no other characteristics ever showed up. No spurs, no large comb and wattles, no crowing...

Back
Top Bottom