Hands on hatching and help

You said if it has not hatched w/in 24 hours of breaking the shell to make a hole...another guideline I set for myself, they do the pipping themselves. It is a rare case that I would recommend taking that step.
I said make a little whole to pule on some feather gentle of coarse. If the chick does move then let it try to hatch by it self and if it does not within 24 hours you should help the chick unless veins are still visable.

And to those talking about different size/color eggs differences in incubating. Thanks for that tidbit. I put them all in together and am curious now how things would have turned out if I seperated certain ones.

One of the call eggs just internally pipped!!!!! Day 26!!
wee.gif

Sweet, make sure to post pics. I love giggling at those goofy, short billed ducks!

The ones I just hatched are sold already (being picked up this evening, I hate to see them go!) but I have plenty of LO eggs if you want to try some more shipped ones!   :D

I wonder what a AC/LO cross would look like?  Hmmm

I still have not seen one lay an egg either! 

Are all of your silkie eggs smooth and shiny? 

:hugs  sounds horrible...  I'm so sorry.

I know!!!! I am so curious!!!!

After the happy post yesterday, I have unfortunate news.  I went out to bring them in right before sundown last night and found blood all over the ramp that led into their pond.  I checked all the babies and they all appeared fine.  However, the pure white ancona that hatched was acting extremely lethargic and couldn't even keep it's head up.  By this morning, it had passed. After looking closely at it I noticed it had blood around it's mouth.  My only conclusion to this is that the blood outside must have come from this duckling coughing it up.

Now this was one that had bacteria in the egg and I've heard that bacteria can kill a chick all the way up to 14 days old.  Does anyone have experience with this or heard of a chick hemorraging blood like that before? 

Oh nooo. That is so sad. Just when you think all is ok. I'm really sorry
Linda

8 silkies out, 4 to go. (Pretty sure nothing is going to happen with the last two.)

Silkie #6 looks to have a little leg problem. Slightly spraddled maybe. Keeps ending up on his back. I've attempted to band it, (not an easy job alone and with a silkie), he was still flopping so I set him in a plastic bb food cup.

Malepo nn is still hanging in there. Not sure which way that is going to go.

Back
Top Bottom