Hands on hatching and help

After a lot of coaching from the sidelines (I told her/him that I could no longer help) and a lot of fussing from the chick, at 1107, it finally plopped out of its shell! I am over the moon excited!

It's name is Akia, which is African unisex name for first born. Thank everyone for the help and encouragement!

Nothing quite like it , is there ??? And I love the name.. I try to find names for mine based on the country of origin for that breed..my favorite name to date is my Polish rooster "Dupek"

After a lot of coaching from the sidelines (I told her/him that I could no longer help) and a lot of fussing from the chick, at 1107, it finally plopped out of its shell! I am over the moon excited!

It's name is Akia, which is African unisex name for first born. Thank everyone for the help and encouragement!
celebrate.gif
Congrats!!!!

Nothing quite like it , is there ??? And I love the name.. I try to find names for mine based on the country of origin for that breed..my favorite name to date is my Polish rooster "Dupek"
I sometimes do the same. Our two little Black Jap bantues were named Chibi and Sukoshi. One of them was taken by a predator a couple months ago. (Still don't know what got it or the two that got taken after.) Only thing is they look so much alike, I couldn't tell you which one was which. I think it was Sukoshi, but I am not 100%.

Hi, the picture is of egg#1 , this egg also had a slight crank at the small end at week 2. No leaks.
When do I know if she's stuck?
:fl I'm getting bummed & panicky here. Ugh. It wasn't this hard last summer in my 1st homemade incubator. Maybe dumb luck? Lol freaking out here trying to stay positive.

Do you hear peeping? Are you sure that one is internally pipped? Can you see the beak under the shell?

Awesome!! Good job. How many eggs do you have in there? Why don't you want to hatch again? You have to give it another try!!

My little wrong way pipper is out. After seeing his position in the egg I'm totally surprised he was even able to make a small pip. He wouldn't of been able to get out of that shell without help. I had to zip the whole air cell end off and his foot was up over the top of his head! As I was making the zip he was peeping his head off non-stop, which made me even more nervous as I was trying to keep my hand steady. Yes, I still get shaky hands whenever I have to assist! But he's doing great now!

My little wrong way pipper is out. After seeing his position in the egg I'm totally surprised he was even able to make a small pip. He wouldn't of been able to get out of that shell without help. I had to zip the whole air cell end off and his foot was up over the top of his head! As I was making the zip he was peeping his head off non-stop, which made me even more nervous as I was trying to keep my hand steady. Yes, I still get shaky hands whenever I have to assist! But he's doing great now!

Glad he's doing good!!!! You did awesome as usual!

Do you hear peeping? Are you sure that one is internally pipped? Can you see the beak under the shell?
Awesome!! Good job. How many eggs do you have in there? Why don't you want to hatch again? You have to give it another try!!

I originally put in 7 (the first 7 laid after my Roos death), 4 were fertile but it appears that only two may hatch.
I never intended to incubate eggs, I was very happy with just my little flock but when my Roo was killed by a predator, I was emotionally driven to have some of his offspring. I tried to get a hen to go broody but that didn't work so without any knowledge I bought an incubator and threw the eggs in it, which was a very immature way to go about it and probably why I am having such a low hatch rate. I just hate that my inexperience effects the life/death of another being and the thought of ruining lives makes me fearful of attempting this journey again. I'm just going to snuggle and appreciate the ones I have :)

RubyNala97 your instinct was right. The Muscovy egg that had breathing type motions last night didn't make it. Very sad but hopefully we'll have a clutch under momma duck later in the summer. I was wondering how we'd have integrated a lone baby duckling into the flock.

Drama drama here today. My one surviving turkey poult that hatched Thurs has been doing well. Its sibling had to go to chicky heaven yesterday as it just wasn't right and it had a bad leg. I went to clean the brooder out earlier this afternoon having been out all morning. The baby was lying motionless on the floor - it somehow had escaped the brooder (I've never had a chicken escape this brooder!). It's still pretty chilly here and it was totally lifeless, glazed eyes, and its neck was arched right back and its legs extended. It looked a total goner. Well, it was still breathing so I had to try. I got my hairdryer on a medium heat to warm it on a fluffy towel and then popped it into the incubator. I really expected it wouldn't do anything. But wow that baby surprised me. Slowly slowly it perked up, started off moving its legs into a more normal position, then lifting its head, then cheeping, then standing. It's only gone and started walking around and eating again!!!!!!!! I might have to name it Jon Snow :)

RubyNala97 your instinct was right. The Muscovy egg that had breathing type motions last night didn't make it. Very sad but hopefully we'll have a clutch under momma duck later in the summer. I was wondering how we'd have integrated a lone baby duckling into the flock.

Drama drama here today. My one surviving turkey poult that hatched Thurs has been doing well. Its sibling had to go to chicky heaven yesterday as it just wasn't right and it had a bad leg. I went to clean the brooder out earlier this afternoon having been out all morning. The baby was lying motionless on the floor - it somehow had escaped the brooder (I've never had a chicken escape this brooder!). It's still pretty chilly here and it was totally lifeless, glazed eyes, and its neck was arched right back and its legs extended. It looked a total goner. Well, it was still breathing so I had to try. I got my hairdryer on a medium heat to warm it on a fluffy towel and then popped it into the incubator. I really expected it wouldn't do anything. But wow that baby surprised me. Slowly slowly it perked up, started off moving its legs into a more normal position, then lifting its head, then cheeping, then standing. It's only gone and started walking around and eating again!!!!!!!! I might have to name it Jon Snow :)

I think that is the most fitting name for a chick, EVER! I love it lol

Back
Top Bottom