Hands on hatching and help

My broody cemanis have chicks
wee.gif
I just reached under there to check the eggs and pulled out a chick, lol. It was gorgeous too, a definite keeper. Guess I better get them into their chick raising area, lol. I'm thinking about getting it set up and doing it tonight even though it's dark.
Congrats!

-Kathy

wee.gif
I just reached under there to check the eggs and pulled out a chick, lol. It was gorgeous too, a definite keeper. Guess I better get them into their chick raising area, lol. I'm thinking about getting it set up and doing it tonight even though it's dark.
Congrats!

Most of the ones in the incubators were clears or too old, and I haven't candled the ones under the broodies. I do have another 40 or 50 that I might set tomorrow.
hide.gif

-Kathy
ep.gif

My broody cemanis have chicks :weee I just reached under there to check the eggs and pulled out a chick, lol. It was gorgeous too, a definite keeper. Guess I better get them into their chick raising area, lol. I'm thinking about getting it set up and doing it tonight even though it's dark.

Oh how exciting. Make sure you get pics when you get the time.. :)

I just found this thread, thank goodness! I have a call duck who is on day 26 (tomorrow is day 27) and whose little bill is thru the air sack and peeping at me. He has 3 siblings very close behind him. After he pipped and was actively peeping I peeled away a small portion of the shell covering the air cell, thinking he was stuck and stopped when I got close to the membrane & noticed a vein, that was about 12 hours ago. The exposed membrane looks dry but I can't tell if all of the veins and yolk have been absorbed. When should I consider helping him hatch? I don't want this baby to get shrink wrapped, but I also don't want to try to help too soon and kill him
1f615.png
It has been a long day so I plan to read thru the posts first thing in the morning and get lots of info, just hoping for a heads up for tomorrow and the next few days
1f60a.png

Forgot to add: Farm innovators incubator w/built in fan. Temp around 99.5-100 and humidity stuck at about 75%. They are all off the turner and in lockdown, meaning I check on him now more than ever lol. I have wet paper towels tucked into the channels on the bottom and one covering the pipped egg w/exposed beak
1f60a.png

wee.gif

yesss.gif
That's so awesome! Post some pics when you can.

My broody cemanis have chicks :weee I just reached under there to check the eggs and pulled out a chick, lol. It was gorgeous too, a definite keeper. Guess I better get them into their chick raising area, lol. I'm thinking about getting it set up and doing it tonight even though it's dark.
congrats!!! I'm sure they're just as gorgeous as the rest but we can never see too many chick pics!!:gig

I just found this thread, thank goodness! I have a call duck who is on day 26 (tomorrow is day 27) and whose little bill is thru the air sack and peeping at me. He has 3 siblings very close behind him. After he pipped and was actively peeping I peeled away a small portion of the shell covering the air cell, thinking he was stuck and stopped when I got close to the membrane & noticed a vein, that was about 12 hours ago. The exposed membrane looks dry but I can't tell if all of the veins and yolk have been absorbed. When should I consider helping him hatch? I don't want this baby to get shrink wrapped, but I also don't want to try to help too soon and kill him
1f615.png
It has been a long day so I plan to read thru the posts first thing in the morning and get lots of info, just hoping for a heads up for tomorrow and the next few days
1f60a.png

Forgot to add: Farm innovators incubator w/built in fan. Temp around 99.5-100 and humidity stuck at about 75%. They are all off the turner and in lockdown, meaning I check on him now more than ever lol. I have wet paper towels tucked into the channels on the bottom and one covering the pipped egg w/exposed beak
1f60a.png
Welcome to the thread. We have a few duck hatchers around here so hopefully a couple will chime in before you check in the morning, but I'll pass on what I've learned from listening to them....ducks are slow!!!! lol Seriously, word is that ducks can take double the amount of time than chicks which could be up to 48 hours. I've also learned that calls often need to be helped, but time is very important. As it is with any hatchling. As a chicken hatcher, I'll leave most of the guidance to the duck people, but you want to keep any exposed membranes moist. Bacitracin, neosporin (w/o pain relief) or vaseline can be used in a thin coat to help keep the membranes from drying out. It will also help you see where the veining is. I hope that you have more answers come morning to help you along.

I need hands on hatching help! LOL! I have a silkie egg in the incubator that had slipped by me and gotten under a broody. It looked at least a week behind development of the others that hatched two days ago. I pulled it about 2 weeks ago. Anyway. I came to turn the eggs, no lockdown, I never saw an internal pip or anything and look what I find...a big pip! But there has been no draw down and when I candle the egg does NOT look pip ready. Looks like day 18. I don't hear peeping but I see movement when I candle. I'm going to bed soon but if I don't hear peeping in the morning I will make a bigger hole and look. This egg is so weird! No drawdown but a pip (was not pipped at 9:30pm when I turned last. Now 11:45pm)..anyone ever have that before?

Eta: heavy veining and a good space between where the chick meets the membrane. My good candler is in the room where the baby is sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom