Hands on hatching and help

Well I woke up this morning and my chick still hadn't pipped. Candled and tapped, no movement or chirping. Opened it up chick suffocated. It was to big to move. It took up most of the shell. This was my one and only polish so I'm just do down right now I could cry. I heard it chirping last night and everything. I could have saved it but I didn't want to go in to early. I'm just kicking myself right now.. :(

Sorry Jennifer. Crappy way to wake up. Are Polish a difficult breed to hatch?

WV, they are all still in bator. I haven't reached in yet. However, they don't seem to be doing that as much as they were.

Last edited:
Yea they will pant like that in the bator. Its hot in there! Lol I was gonna say that was too warm for the brooder, but they are just learning to breathe, so its fine.

I hatched only 3 polish once. Absolutely the coolest to candle and watch zip. The shells were so easy to see thru. Mine made big wide zippers, I could watch them turning inside as they made their way around the egg.

Well I woke up this morning and my chick still hadn't pipped. Candled and tapped, no movement or chirping. Opened it up chick suffocated. It was to big to move. It took up most of the shell. This was my one and only polish so I'm just do down right now I could cry. I heard it chirping last night and everything. I could have saved it but I didn't want to go in to early. I'm just kicking myself right now..
sad.png

There's no way you could have known. I'm so sorry.
I did want to say over in the Ameraucana thread that your EAster Egger hen is GORGEOUS, if that's any consolation right now.

How's the ventilation in the mini? Maybe the aren't getting enough?

Just grasping at straws for you.

Thanks. I'm new at all this so maybe it was a malposition that I just didn't recognize or maybe it was stuck from the humidity being to low. I think next year I'll try again with local eggs if I can find some. I've only ever hatched shipped eggs. Maybe that's the problem.

Yea they will pant like that in the bator. Its hot in there! Lol I was gonna say that was too warm for the brooder, but they are just learning to breathe, so its fine.

I hatched only 3 polish once. Absolutely the coolest to candle and watch zip. The shells were so easy to see thru. Mine made big wide zippers, I could watch them turning inside as they made their way around the egg.

Yes I could see very clearly..

There's no way you could have known.  I'm so sorry.
I did want to say over in the Ameraucana thread that your EAster Egger hen is GORGEOUS, if that's any consolation right now.

Thank you. She is my favorite hen. She is so sweet I can even hold her like a baby and she will just snuggle in lol. :)

Well I woke up this morning and my chick still hadn't pipped. Candled and tapped, no movement or chirping. Opened it up chick suffocated. It was to big to move. It took up most of the shell. This was my one and only polish so I'm just do down right now I could cry. I heard it chirping last night and everything. I could have saved it but I didn't want to go in to early. I'm just kicking myself right now.. :(

I tried polish once too and lost the only one that hatched (due to humidity dropping way low in the brinsea overnight during hatch). I got it out of the egg but it swallowed to much glue. I know how you feel. :hugs

If it got that big, then your humidity must have been too high throughout incubation. But once they internally pip, and actually move into the air cell, it does look like they are too large, but they are just expanding into the extra room. Dont beat yourself up. Maybe it just wasn't strong enough.

X2
My humidity has been pretty low during incubation. It had been in my brinsea mini and those just seem impossible to keep the humidity up. It wasn't swollen or mushy either. It just took up the whole egg in an unnatural way. I had another one pass from my silkie hatch that was like this. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong so I could fix it. I have more eggs in the incubator. Almost all have internally pipped but none have externals yet. Today is going to be a long day. :(

I have the exact opposite problem with the mini. During summer when I run dry I'm at 60% humidity!

I tried polish once too and lost the only one that hatched (due to humidity dropping way low in the brinsea overnight during hatch). I got it out of the egg but it swallowed to much glue. I know how you feel. :hugs
X2
I have the exact opposite problem with the mini. During summer when I run dry I'm at 60% humidity!

That's crazy. I think it's because we are in the hottest point of our summer and we have been in a drought for the last like 7 years. It's very dry where I live and this last week it was around 107 degrees all week. :(

Back
Top Bottom