Hands on hatching and help

On the same note as Pyxis... not sure how new you are, & don't want to seem condescending: did you count the first 24 hours as day 0? To be honest-- when I'm busy, I could miscount & all the apps I have count incorrectly. I'm thinking your temps are good if they are rocking. So tell them to hurry up!!

Last edited:
Day 1 was the 8th of June. One of them has a detached air cell but the chick is still alive! Tried correcting it but nothing worked

Your Day 21 is actually tomorrow, then :) I would keep the detached air cell egg upright for hatching. :fl that it makes it!

Day 1 was the 8th of June. One of them has a detached air cell but the chick is still alive! Tried correcting it but nothing worked

Do you mean that's the day you set them? If so, Pyxis is correct: after first 24 hours, that's Day 1.

I have hatched horrible saddled air cells. There are tricks in babying them. I do not hatch them upright. If air cells don't have a very clean line, upright for probably a day (during drawdown). When that gel-like appearance disappears, then I put it on its side (they are supposed to hatch quicker).

Usually, I don't have a problem hatching them. I would say that I've been happier with the progress since I have been increasing their humidity.

I've had completely detached air cells develop and hatch-- those amaze me! So good luck! Here's one that I took a pic of that hatched.

Such a horrible saddle, I couldn't believe this one. This was before I began to see I could increase humidity and bring up some of that drop early.
IMG_1772.JPG

I won them on fb! I'm unsure about the breeds I'm more of a duck person but I'd like to increase my chicken stock. So I may need help in identifying the breed when they hatch :)

Did they list possibilities? Or have a list of the breeds they have? Would help with chick identification as many look very similar to each other... :)

And congrats!

Did they list possibilities? Or have a list of the breeds they have? Would help with chick identification as many look very similar to each other... :)

And congrats!
Welsummers, Marans and light Sussex! I could see a few of them poking the membrane lastnight so I'm hoping I get some internal pips today. The detached aircell one is still alive looks less developed than the others though.

Okay, so my broody duck was sitting on 13 eggs. Twelve ducklings hatched on Tuesday. On Wednesday evening her last egg hatched but the duckling is quite small compared to the others. It walks around a little but is pretty wobbly on its feet. It sleeps a lot and just isn't as energetic as the other ducklings. I have seen it drink water but haven't seen it eat. Its stomach seems pretty big. I don't know if it just hasn't completely finished its yolk or if it's bloated. Or maybe it's normal, but it just seems really fat to me. I've also never seen it poop. Of course I'm not watching it all the time, but the other ducklings seem to be pooping constantly. The other ducklings are nearly twice his size and are always stepping on him. Do you guys think this sounds normal? I'm worried about him. Is there anything I can do to help him?

Back
Top Bottom