Hands on hatching and help

So my tiny duckling is five and a half weeks old and is unfortunately not doing too well. Today I let her swim in the bath for a while and then I put her on a towel on the bathroom floor to dry herself off. Well, something spooked her and she ran of the towel onto the slippery floor and her legs splayed out. One leg seems fine but she can't really use the other. She keeps laying down and when she does stand her leg sticks a little out to the side. I feel terrible. Do you think this is something that can be fixed (and if so, how would I fix it) or do you think she should be put to sleep?
View attachment 1102633

Also, I noticed this morning that the tips of her wings don't fold under like they should. They kind of stick out to the side. Her left wing is worse than the right. I wasn't able to get a very good picture, but does it look like she has angel wing?

View attachment 1102636

The leg is probably just a soft tissue injury and needs time to heal. Soak it in Epsom salts to help bring down any swelling that might be occurring.

The wing, that might be the start of angel wing, which will need to be wrapped to correct.

The leg is probably just a soft tissue injury and needs time to heal. Soak it in Epsom salts to help bring down any swelling that might be occurring.

The wing, that might be the start of angel wing, which will need to be wrapped to correct.

x2! Neither are fatal issues.

She sure is a cutie!!

Thanks so much guys! So relieved that she should be okay. Should I wrap her wings now or wait until the feathers grow out a bit more?

Thanks so much guys! So relieved that she should be okay. Should I wrap her wings now or wait until the feathers grow out a bit more?

Wait, a littlet bit... it might just be weight and newness of the pinfeathers, plus easier to wrap for angel wing once more of the wing tips are out...

You were right all four have hatched :highfive:

Congrats!!! :thumbsup

Popping in to say hi! Been busy with care of my father, some health issues, got a weekend away and have been painting rocks like crazy!

My spitz has turned out to be a pretty decent mom. All 7 are still running around out there. Enjoying them all while I can. There's a chance I'll have to get rid of my chickens in order to move. Which will be very sad. Having a hard time finding a place since the one we were supposed to get fell through. Trying to stay hopeful.

Hope everyone is having a great summer! We start school the last week of this month. The boy is not happy about that...lol. We're also making his Halloween costume (well, attempting) again this year. FNAF Foxy.

:frow

I'm still hatching. Broodies still sitting, mommas raising babies!

Had an interesting malpo last night. I thought it had internally pipped, so i made a safe hole. Much later, still no action, so i started an assist. Started peeling the air cell off, lots of chirping, couldn't find the beak!! Finally felt the pip with my fingers, underneath the egg. It had pipped toward the floor.

Finally broke it all out, and the head was above the wing, but the wing was fanned upward over the face. Then i got worried there was something wrong with the chick. But after a few hours of progressive assisting, she pushed out and is fine!

WP_20170810_20_01_21_Pro_LI.jpg

holding the wing back, i found it's face
WP_20170810_21_16_46_Pro_LI.jpg

Eye at the end of my thumb
WP_20170810_21_17_20_Pro_LI.jpg

Pretty little bantam cochin
WP_20170811_06_10_50_Pro_LI.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20170810_21_16_51_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20170810_21_16_51_Pro_LI.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 6
IMG_4206.JPG
So this is way off topic, but my son wants to be a Five Nights at Freddy's character for Halloween. Foxy. The store bought costumes are so lame. So we decided to attempt making our own. I bought the stuff to do the head this month and have been working on getting it done. We have all but the eye patch on, which I am going to cheat and buy a Halloween one...lol but here's how it turned out. I didn't make sure the top hairs were straight when I took the pic...lol

:frow

I'm still hatching. Broodies still sitting, mommas raising babies!

Had an interesting malpo last night. I thought it had internally pipped, so i made a safe hole. Much later, still no action, so i started an assist. Started peeling the air cell off, lots of chirping, couldn't find the beak!! Finally felt the pip with my fingers, underneath the egg. It had pipped toward the floor.

Finally broke it all out, and the head was above the wing, but the wing was fanned upward over the face. Then i got worried there was something wrong with the chick. But after a few hours of progressive assisting, she pushed out and is fine!

View attachment 1108473

holding the wing back, i found it's face
View attachment 1108472

Eye at the end of my thumb
View attachment 1108462

Pretty little bantam cochin
View attachment 1108474
That's awesome! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom