Handsom guy--I would love to know what he is....

OK! So, there is a difference in the Production Red and the Road Island Red. Is that because the hatchery's are 'mutts'?

I've always been a fan of mutts---!!!

Quote:
Yes, there's a large difference.

No, "mutt" isn't the right term for them. They are the hatcheries version of RIR - they are "supposed" to be RIR, but aren't exactly bred to standard, just for their rate of lay. Does that make more sense?
smile.png

'just for their rate of lay'. So they aren't 'pure' RIRs?

I guess I don't understand...... I don't suppose it matters; I certainly don't have a breeding plan!

Thanks, for all the info, tho.

Quote:
For the most part there are two popular types of "Production Red" one is a R.I. Red bred solely for egg production and selectively bred solely from the R.I. Red in doing so the "breed" lost a lot of the characteristics of the true Rhode Island Red (R.I. Red) .
The other type "Production Red" is a cross of a R.I. Red and a Leghorn.

Now there are some hatcheries that sell a R.I. Red /New Hampshire cross and call them a Production Red. To me not at all a egg production cross since the New Hampshire was originally bred solely from the R.I. Red to produce a more meat type fowl.

Chris

Great--Thanks Chris09! That helps!

I am thrilled with the 'looks' of these roos! Especially those teal greenish tail feathers!

Thanks for all the answers folks!

Back
Top Bottom