Happy hurricane season!!

snakelife

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
June 1st is the start of hurricane season and I live in FL. A prime spot to get hit. I've never evacuated with chickens before but what's the best thing to do? I always have to evacuate as we live in a small island between the river and the ocean and we get horrible flooding. The authorities come door to door and kick us out of our houses so of course I have to take the animals with me. Does anybody have a good packing list of what I should bring if I do evacuate this year? I only get about 2 days of notice before I have to board up and leave and so I'm determined to get all my prep done for the animals this weekend. I have 3 hens and an Indian Runner Duck I have to take with me. This means sneaking them into hotels along with 10 of our big snakes and monitor lizards a dog and a cat. So what should I bring? And what's the best way to transport them? ANY advice helps. I'm scared this year is gonna be a big one!!

Should I get some falconry hoods for them to keep them quiet in the car? And to keep them quiet in the hotel room? We have to drive about 5 hours to get away from the hurricane and that's a long time to deal with a 100 pound dog, a cat large reptiles and 4 birds. I need some way to black them out and keep them from moving around in the back of my Honda.

If you can get a dog or cat crate or even milk crates to put them in to stop them from roaming all over the car. Putting them in cardboard boxes might make it easier to sneak them into a hotel room

I have milk crates that they all get locked into and then we stack them inside a large dog crate. But how do I keep them quiet while in the car? They just cry when I put them in there. Believe me if rather risk leaving them on their own for a week and a half then dealing with them crying in the back of the car for 5 hours there and 5 hours back...

Mine never cry in the car. You could try a piece of thick cloth on one and take it in the car and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom