Emergency Raven Care?

MinervaTheHen

Chirping
Sep 30, 2022
Hi everyone.
A few hours ago, a family member found a raven lying in a driveway. It was apathetic and didn’t seem to be able to lift its head.
I ended up with it for the night. He can fly, although not for a long distance. Both legs are moving but one seems to be having muscle spasms. He cannot lift his head or balance properly.
Before anyone says it, yes, I know it should be at a wildlife rehab facility. If it survives the weekend I’ll bring it to one immediately, but I live in a state that is currently about to be hit by a hurricane and the rural roads I live on are not safe to drive.
What can I do for right now? I have given him a little bit of water with chick electrolytes, but he doesn’t seem able to eat or drink normally. Also, my supplies are limited to what I have in the house. I won’t be able to get to the nearest town for at least twenty-four hours, but possibly as many as a few days.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 71
Hi everyone.
A few hours ago, a family member found a raven lying in a driveway. It was apathetic and didn’t seem to be able to lift its head.
I ended up with it for the night. He can fly, although not for a long distance. Both legs are moving but one seems to be having muscle spasms. He cannot lift his head or balance properly.
Before anyone says it, yes, I know it should be at a wildlife rehab facility. If it survives the weekend I’ll bring it to one immediately, but I live in a state that is currently about to be hit by a hurricane and the rural roads I live on are not safe to drive.
What can I do for right now? I have given him a little bit of water with chick electrolytes, but he doesn’t seem able to eat or drink normally. Also, my supplies are limited to what I have in the house. I won’t be able to get to the nearest town for at least twenty-four hours, but possibly as many as a few days.
Any suggestions?
Cover the cage and keep it warm and dark. For the electrolytes, try using an eyedropper to lay a drop at a time along its beak. It should swallow reflexively. I know that works for chickens, and it worked for my parakeets and cockatiels, way back when, so I assume it's a natural reflex for birds. It's worth a try. Please make sure you don't cross-contaminate anything to your birds, You really don't know what it may be harboring.
And good luck with the hurricane. Those are no fun.

Cover the cage and keep it warm and dark. For the electrolytes, try using an eyedropper to lay a drop at a time along its beak. It should swallow reflexively. I know that works for chickens, and it worked for my parakeets and cockatiels, way back when, so I assume it's a natural reflex for birds. It's worth a try. Please make sure you don't cross-contaminate anything to your birds, You really don't know what it may be harboring.
And good luck with the hurricane. Those are no fun.
Thanks!
Yeah, I was definitely worried about diseases. He’s in a cage that I don’t use anymore, and I have him in a separate room.

It should swallow reflexively.
Yes, it does work for ravens. I have treated one before and it works the same way.

As for West Nile Virus, from the symptoms you describe, it's a close fit--the most obvious symptoms are neurological or neuromuscular: signs include loss of coordination, head tilt, tremors, weakness, apparent blindness, and lethargy.

But such symptoms can fit other things as well. if it is WNV then there is no real cure at this time.

Electrolytes, vitamins including those necessary for neuro functioning (B complex), some vitamin C, and an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen or meloxicam will be the best support you can give this poor little guy.

And up through the night with him--you deserve big praise. Thank you trying to help him.

Back
Top Bottom