Hard boiled bantam eggs are sticking to the shells.

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by LUVMYCHIKAS, Nov 18, 2013.

1. LUVMYCHIKAS

LUVMYCHIKAS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Md
    Our bantams just started laying in late September so I'm new to the preparation of these eggs. We started out boiling them for 8 mins, then 7, now we're down to six but the shells continue to stick to the egg pulling a lot of the egg white off with them. At 6 mins the yolks are barely cooked all the way through. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences with these bantam eggs? I would love to hear from anyone! Help.. :)

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

You are waiting at least 1-2 weeks before boiling the eggs, right? Fresh eggs will invariably stick to the shells. Other than that, I've found bantam eggs take about half as long... anywhere from 6-10 minutes depending on how cooked you like your yolks and what your precise method is to boil the eggs.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Fresh-layed eggs tend to stick to the shell when hard boiled. If you let them age a week or two, they will peel more easily. I have found one method of cooking freshly laid eggs that works pretty good -

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil
    2. Lower eggs gently into the water one at a time with a spoon. Eggs should not be crowded.
    3. Simmer 13 minutes for large eggs (you may have to try times for bantam eggs, I would say probably around 11 minutes)
    4. Immerse immediately in very cold or ice water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by