Hard-boiled eggs-Any more ideas?

Backyard Hencam

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 27, 2009
California Central Coast
I have been experimenting with cooking hard boiled eggs to see if I can find a way to make them easier to peel.
These are the things I've tried but I don't see any difference in the outcome. They still are a nightmare to peel.

Eggs are at least a week old.
Bring to room temperature before cooking.
Only bring to a simmer then let them sit in hot water for 15-20 minutes.
Put a 1Tbls. of vinegar and 1Tbls. salt in water before cooking.
After removing from hot water, put into ice water until cool!

Any other suggestions? I'm a stubborn Scot and will continue experimenting until I get it right!
frow.gif

Check the recipe index, there are several methods in there. I just let them age several weeks before I even try.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

That's what I do - add 1/3 - 1/2 cup of salt to the boiling water (it doesn't make the eggs taste salty) and then I put them in an ice bath until they're cold. They peel great.

The older the egg, the better it peels, but 1 week old is still too fresh. I've heard to leave them sit for about 3 weeks. I never plan that far ahead, so I usually use the salt-in-the-water method.

I do the same thing and add a bunch of salt to the water, then ice cold bath after running cold water over the eggs for a minute or two. Just hard boiled some Quail eggs and that recipe called for 1/2 & 1/2 water/vinegar ratio and that worked great.

Also, have read here that you do not need to "age" the eggs and can do fresh eggs as well.

Sandee

The 2010 farmers almanac has a section on hard boiled eggs. I have not tried any myself on fresh eggs, but here's some of the tips:

dont use fresh eggs.

break head off of a wooden kitchen match and throw the 'stick' portion into the water. (???)

put a dozen eggs into a slow cooker, add water to cover the eggs and cook on high for 90 minutes. (who has 90 mins to hard boil eggs!!!)

use a pin to prick a hole in the blunt end of the shell before boiling.

and "The expert says"(american egg board):
cook eggs in water that is 1 inch over the eggs. let water come to a boil. put lid on pot when the water is boiling. move pot onto a cold burner. set timer for 18 mins for jumbo eggs, 15 for large, and 12 for medium.

I think I might try the pin and prick a hole. seems like the membrane would separate!

dont use fresh eggs.

Oh but I've worked so hard for those fresh, fresh, eggs!

break head off of a wooden kitchen match and throw the 'stick' portion into the water. (???)

Hmmmmmmm. Wonder what that does?

put a dozen eggs into a slow cooker, add water to cover the eggs and cook on high for 90 minutes. (who has 90 mins to hard boil eggs!!!)

Ugggg.........

use a pin to prick a hole in the blunt end of the shell before boiling.

Seems like the insides would come out as it cooked.

I just read about plunging the boiled into ice water then putting them back into the boiling water, then back into the ice water to cool. What we're looking for is a way to separate the membrane from the shell. I'll give this a try.
thumbsup.gif

Get an Aroma electric egg cooker. You wont ever swear at peeling an egg again! This used to be my least favorite job...now we have hard and soft boiled and all the variations all the time! Terri O

Get an Aroma electric egg cooker. You wont ever swear at peeling an egg again! This used to be my least favorite job...now we have hard and soft boiled and all the variations all the time! Terri O

Hey, now your takin'. Never heard of them but found them on Amazon for less than $25. Anyone else had experience with these?​

Back
Top Bottom