1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hard boiled eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by stilltexx, Dec 3, 2013.

1. stilltexx

stilltexx Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    new eggs why are they hard to peel

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    The egg is covered in layers of membranes. A fresh egg is tight and firm and like people, hasn't gotten lose skin yet. There is something called an air cell at the wide end of the egg. Fresh eggs have not developed the cell yet. Old eggs have a large cell. The air helps to separate the shell and membranes from each other.
    When you figure a chick has to breath through all of that, then you realize how permeable they have to be.
    Set your eggs out on the counter for a couple of days and that might do the trick, I had some fresh eggs in the refrigerator for two weeks and they still would not peel.

When I was new to this I read post that suggested 1/4 cup salt and vinegar in the boiling water, then add the egg to the boiling water. That is what we still do.

try one of these methods: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...peel-my-hard-boiled-eggs-page-8-solution/0_50

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. thechickenboss

thechickenboss New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    I have noticed the same issue. It is very hard to peel the egg and a "layer" of the yolk is stuck to the shell and membrane when I peel it. Thanks for the advice, I will try this next time I hard boil some eggs.

4. Gumiho

Gumiho Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    FL
    I've had trouble with that too. But when I need to boil eggs and I only have fresh eggs available, I've had some luck with:

1. Letting them set out over night before boiling.
    2. Giving one or two firm shakes per egg before adding to a pot that has 1tsp to 1tbsp baking soda (depending on number of eggs and size of pot) added to the water.
    3. Dumping them in a bowl of ice water before peeling.

Its tedious, but it makes a difference between an egg that will be missing massive chunks or just a few spots.

Otherwise, I like to mark a few eggs and set them aside specifically to age a bit before boiling. Especially for my dog, since I'm not comfortable giving him eggs boiled in baking soda. I'm told its fine, but I'd rather not.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Baking soda should be ok for your dog. I giae it to my horse for an upset stomach when he ate too much green grass.

A fellow suggested holding egg under cold runnng water while peeling-- it generally works for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by