Hard bump above eye

amymarie1221

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 3, 2016
Woodland, WA
Does anyone know what this is from or how to treat it? It's been there for a few weeks. She's acting normal and it doesn't seem to bother her. It's a hard lump, seems to of possibly gotten a tiny bit bigger recently.

It could be cyst possibly appearing on it's own, or maybe a small abscess from a peck wound. I have had a smaller cyst in the same spot just over an eye in a rooster of mine, but it never grew. Since it is growing, you or a vet could lance it and try to squeeze out any contents. Chicken pus is solid cheeselike kernels after awhile, so you may get that if it is an abscess, or you may get just blood out if it is a cyst or tumor. Use some betadine before lancing, and some plain neosporin afterward.

It could be cyst possibly appearing on it's own, or maybe a small abscess from a peck wound. I have had a smaller cyst in the same spot just over an eye in a rooster of mine, but it never grew. Since it is growing, you or a vet could lance it and try to squeeze out any contents. Chicken pus is solid cheeselike kernels after awhile, so you may get that if it is an abscess, or you may get just blood out if it is a cyst or tumor. Use some betadine before lancing, and some plain neosporin afterward.

This may be a dumb question, but, won't lancing it hurt her really bad? If I need to lance I will but I'm wondering if there are any negative effects to just keeping an eye on it.

You can keep an eye on it, but lancing it can help to distinguish a boil or abscess from a cyst. The harder it feels, the more likely it is a cyst. Chickens usually don't mind getting poked and prodded, but it helps to wrap them up like a burrito in a towel, and have another hold while you do the lancing. Do what you are comfortable doing.

Back
Top Bottom