Hardcore Autosexing genetics questions

When you cross those hybrids you will lose the ability to sex them all at hatch.
You'll get about half barred and about half non barred of both sexes.
You'll also get about 75% blue egg layers and 25% that won't lay blue.

But, can I pull the ones who turned out the desired way and then breed those together? Back breed to Legbar at some point?

But, can I pull the ones who turned out the desired way and then breed those together? Back breed to Legbar at some point?
You can do either but neither will produce chicks that are sexable at hatch

What you did was use a non auto sexing non sex link rooster over an auto sexing hen and created sex link offspring.
If using an auto sexing rooster over a non hen you wouldn't have been able to sex them.
An auto sexing breed can be bred to a different auto sexing breed and produce auto sexing offspring.
Yes after that first cross you lose the ability to produce sexable offspring no matter if breeding them together or back to an auto sexing bird.

So, just adding a question in here. :) If you had two different breeds of autosexing chickens would the result be autosexed chicks? Like if I had a Cream crested legbar hen with a Bielefelder rooster would the chicks be autosexing?

So, just adding a question in here. :) If you had two different breeds of autosexing chickens would the result be autosexed chicks? Like if I had a Cream crested legbar hen with a Bielefelder rooster would the chicks be autosexing?
Yes, they will be autosexed since they are both based on e+ wildtype e allele and the sex inked barring gene.

Chicks from a cross of two autosexing pure breeds are also autosexing.source: http://www.steepleducks.co.uk/poultry.htm

The site has been taken down(source) so here is a snap shot of 2012 from the Wayback Machine(got luck here, some pages are lost for ever)
https://web.archive.org/web/20110617223853/http://www.steepleducks.co.uk/poultry.htm

So once you do 1 outcross with an auto sexing breed, the auto sexing is gone forever, 0% likelihood, even if you breed back to the auto sexing breed?

What you did was use a non auto sexing non sex link rooster over an auto sexing hen and created sex link offspring.
If using an auto sexing rooster over a non hen you wouldn't have been able to sex them.
An auto sexing breed can be bred to a different auto sexing breed and produce auto sexing offspring.
Yes after that first cross you lose the ability to produce sexable offspring no matter if breeding them together or back to an auto sexing bird.

if you selecting a barring gene s as your sexlinked than yes you ll lose the auto sexing ability if you cross the F1 generation among them selves .a bared cockerel s over they sibling non bared . But there is a catch .if you select only the bared chooks from the F2 generation to work with and breed them together ,than you ll bred back the sex linked barring genes .all the cockerel chicks will be double barred . large white dots and all the pullets chicks will have a smaller white dot .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom