Hardware cloth and staples

Shoulda, coulda, wish I woulda...

Listen to these guys. We just built ours and used the little fence staples. They were a royal PIA to hammer in and I kept thinking we needed something longer/stronger. Lowe's has these
017051204073lg.jpg
for $14.66 for a 5# box. We did sandwich the fence between boards in several places with screws and like organick said, we had to predrill holes in the wood to keep it from splitting and that was time consuming. Nothing worse than to be done and then see something like this and wish you'd done it right the first time
wink.png

Quote:
We sandwich our hardwire cloth between 2x2s whenever possible (it makes a nicer finish for windows and vents) and screw them in using washers when it's not, or when aesthetics aren't that important. (Drill holes in the 2x2's to prevent splitting). We originally used a pneumatic gun and it was easy but like nerd0geekboyz said, they can cut through the hardwire cloth. Not good.

Quote:
I have these on my coop too. I asked my carpenter to use washers, and he had these on hand from a roofing job and showed them to me, and we used them. Never had one come out, nice and secure. And very cheap. He gave me a pail full to keep as spares or for repairs.

I use a little stapler from WalMart to hold it in place, and it's fairly secure. For raccoon-proofing I reinforce with screws and washers (yes, pre-drill starter holes) the washers have to be big enough that they won't pull through the hardware cloth holes, any size will do as long as it does that.

chicksday7010.jpg

I do not recommend the little plastic thingys that AlabamaChickenLady posted. If they get any sunlight at all the plastic deteriorates QUICKLY and it will break and allow the hardware cloth to get pulled out.

I've had even the galvanized staples pop out after wood weathers... so I pony up and buy metal washers and alternate. Heavy duty staple, screw and washer. So far so good!!

I just finished installing the hardware cloth. I used
screws and 3/16 inch fender washers. A box of 100 was
$10 at Home Depot. With a battery operated screw gun
was quick to install. I went through quite a bit of them
but the run is secure.

Quote:
Yes, this tends to happen. If you do use staples, get in the habit of checking the wire regularly and reinforcing as needed. As a matter of fact, this isn't a bad idea no matter what you use to secure your wire.

Quote:
these are typically used to install foam board insulation.....they are not used on roofs at all, they would cause uneven surfaces. If the platic is not uv protected I would worry they will be cracked and falling off in 2 years of weather.

Staples may pull over periods of time but if you use the 1 3/4 they will hold very well for a long time. Using screws and washers you MUST use exterior grade or galvanized washers and screws or they will rust out......if using the new CCA treated lumber be very careful with the fasteners you choose as the wood is extremely corrosive to metal. You need to use deck screws or hot dipped galvanized.

Back
Top Bottom