harness train pet chicken

gingerpeach22

Songster
9 Years
May 1, 2010
Fairbanks
I'd like to hear (and see photos & instructions) from those who've put a harness on a chicken to take it out of the coop or run and out somewhere else. It must be an adventure and a half. Any stories? Can I make one from soft material? I should think polar fleece would be soft, strong, and non-fraying.

Last edited:
We have a RIR that we put a small harness on and "walk" around the yard with.
big_smile.png
I say "walk" because you really can't harness train a chicken. They just kinda walk around where ever they please and if you try to pull them with the leash they will fight it. I used an old dog leash to make the chicken harness. It had to be made special for her because if it was too tight she would spend the whole time trying to get it off and if it was too loose she could escape. I also had to make it where the harness was not on her crop. If you do put a harness on a chicken, make sure the chicken is very tame and will let you pick them up. I tried to put it on my BR and she went bizerk.
hmm.png
It is fun and a great conversation piece. I try not to walk her for very long or far from the coop. Chickens don't like to be alone.
wink.png

Here's the best picture I have of Emma and my SO going for a walk.
42035_emmers.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom