Harness training my baby emus *Pics!*

There cute when they are babies, heck what isnt? but when they grow up, they scare me
hide.gif
I watched a TV show & this farmer had Emus & he got kicked & he almost died, the emu got loose & they couldnt catch it so shot it insted
sickbyc.gif
they are like the fowl version of cows!!! EXTRA SCARY
hide.gif
hit.gif

OK DEEP breath
fl.gif
What good are emus, really???? You cant eat there eggs, can you eat there meat? thats a lot of meat!
Im going to have to google emus after I wright this message...
bun.gif

I think if my emus got out they would be sitting near the pen asking "Let me it! im going to miss lunch!"

You can eat their eggs, they are good. Most peaple raise them for meat, and it tastes like beef.

I think all mine think when i go in the pen is "food! you have food, right? Right!??!"
big_smile.png

Rachel's Hobby Hatchery :

There cute when they are babies, heck what isnt? but when they grow up, they scare me
hide.gif
I watched a TV show & this farmer had Emus & he got kicked & he almost died, the emu got loose & they couldnt catch it so shot it insted
sickbyc.gif
they are like the fowl version of cows!!! EXTRA SCARY
hide.gif
hit.gif

OK DEEP breath
fl.gif
What good are emus, really???? You cant eat there eggs, can you eat there meat? thats a lot of meat!
Im going to have to google emus after I wright this message...
bun.gif

Why can't you eat their eggs? One egg gives you the same amount of food as a dozen chicken eggs. You can use them for meat as well, my understanding is theres not much on them though as they really only use their legs. They are an animal that you can use every part of though, for one thing or another.

I tried harnessing my chicks and both of them flipped out, they ran around doing the "I've been caught" scream, we literally had to pin them down to get the harnesses off. I tried putting a leash on Quoba so s/he wouldn't kill him/herself running into something head first but that just made it worse. Is there a less stressful way to put them on or do you just let them wear themselves down to the point that they just accept it?​

When harness training put them in a kennel just large enough for them and let them wear it in there. They will get use to the feeling...... but still won't like it.. hehe

As far as what are they good for.... A well socialized emu can be very friendly... dog like in a way. i use mine as flock protection as anything new and strange is chased after.. (except people)

Last edited:
My emus are fine with it, but they still freak out a bit when you put it on. They get used to it, and i dont ever take it of unless its hot out. I got them a week old and they where on the leash the next day. We even took them to the pet store to see what fit them. If your emus trust you, it helps. They sleep on my lap, and never leave my heels. (When im it the pen) If the harness is loose, it helps them get over the freak out part and mine will just stubornly sit down and not get up if they feel unconforitable
smile.png

Don't ever take a harness off if they freak out cos it means they will only have succeeded in training you, never give in no matter how much they scream, they WILL get used to it!
As far as what they are good for, they are very rewarding pets, first and foremost!!! However, their meat is good, very much like steak and very lean and low in chloresterol so very good for you, their eggs, will provide the equivalent to 12 hens eggs for omelets, baking or scrambled!!!!!!!! And the shells of the eggs are very sought after by craft clubs wishing to decorate eggs!!!
Ratites, are fantastic but research BEFORE you buy to make sure they are suitable for YOU!

Back
Top Bottom