Harrisburgh Pa. Farm Show on Jan12th

Quote:
Really? I always thought there were tons of vendors .. they have them all in another part of the complex ... my friend had a booth there a couple years ago and I spent one day babysitting it. She makes weathervanes, garden shadows, lawn shadows, planter stakes, etc, all the way down to EARRINGS from black powder coated steel.

I didn't say there wern't tons of vendors. Just that I was dissapointed that a lot of the vendors didn't seem to "farm" oriented. For example, I don't know what earrings and shammies, and vespas, and cell phones, and snack dips, etc.. have a lot to do with working the land. Seems like you see those types of vendors at any show anymore not matter what the venue. But I still had a great time!

SFF- you were funny when they put your bird in the reserve grand champion cage. They had announced it earlier- and I didn't think you had heard your bird was a winner. My husband and I were the ones who had just finished talking to your gentleman friend about the fact that we both had a rooster named Harvey. Congrats!

Last edited:
Quote:
My birds are! They have Poultry Lane Farm tags on the coops.
smile.png

Hannah I saw them!!! Lovely birds!!! :) Is your Splash cockeral always so talkative?! LOL he was crowing up a storm when I was watching him
thumbsup.gif

I cannot BELIEVE the number of birds there this year! I don't remember them EVER using that many rows and that much of that room to show the birds! And I remember years when they were just single cages, now they're nearly all double stacked! And there was much more water fowl this year too! Plus there the ducklings never had a brooder before. I was impressed with the number of educational stands that increased this year too, normally there arent as many. I think the expansion this year was good, but I don't know how much more they can fit in there until they need to expand the building itself (which I don't think they've done in nearly 20 years) because even for a weekday morning, it was literally shoulder to shoulder in there today! Way to go Harrisburg and the Ag department!

Yes! 1800 birds entered this year, largest entry in 20+ years...My son has birds there as I write...(and did quite well!)

I loved seeing all the different birds and waterfowl. It was my first poultry show, so I was like a kid in a huge candy store lol.

I didn't think of entering any of my birds. I figured nothing I had could compare to what others would bring. Specially after being on BYC and all the talk of 'show quality' birds, which I don't think I have.

I walked very slowly and really looked at a lot of the birds there. I was very shocked to see many of the chickens with bubble eyes and looking sick. A good majority of the birds also had very bad scaly leg mites. I really couldn't believe those birds were even allowed to be entered into the show.

I know close to nothing about poultry shows, but apparently scaly leg mites are overlooked? I can't imagine how every bird there won't go home sick by the end of the week. I am sort of glad I didn't enter my birds now. I really hope any of the BYC'ers that did, don't end up with sick chickens.

Quote:
There was one leghorn that was so bad that she couldnt even stand on her feet with the scaleys. She went to the "isolation room". I hope none of my birds get sick from there. If any members see sick birds, please get into contact with one of the show secretaries/people in charge to take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom