Harry horse & Charlie adventures! Horse chat & much more! Everyone welcome!

Pics
Harry's looking good this morning Kim! And you didn't get too much snow. Trudging through deep snows always makes the chores harder. Stay warm up there Kim! :hugs

That is surprising Kim! I thought you would have more than us. We have about 4inches here. Sun is shining at the moment and it is blindingly bright but half an hour ago it was almost a white out and of course I was caught out in it walking home! Not unpleasantly cold or windy though even in the white out but having managed to make it this far through the winter with splits in my wellies and mostly kept my feet dry, I've definitely got soggy socks today.
I'm holding out until the end of the season in the hope of getting a good deal on my next pair. I loved the style and fit of these Caldene Bramham neoprene boots but really disappointed that they barely went a year before the uppers split. It's one thing buying a cheap pair of wellies and them not lasting more than one season, but I really resent spending £80+ and them perishing before their second winter even starts! Got any personal recommendations for neoprene boots?

Got a couple of inches over night, they haven’t gritted the roads either and it’s white over on the main village one at the end of our street! I can see cars crashing in to the war memorial again. They always do when it’s like this as they drive too fast around the corner :(

Harry was wormed last night so he’s staying in today, would have been a good day for snow pics!

For now @rebrascora could you put carrier bags on your feet before putting your boots on? That should at least keep your feet warm and dry until the end of the season.

I’m not a big welly/neoprene boot fan so cant recommend any personally but I do have a friend just up the road who sells “Grubs” and she swears by them. I know she sells them so is probably bias but they do seem a sturdy boot.
https://balnecroftcountry.co.uk/

Mmm... this isn’t just showers!

B5581CD2-AAAA-4F43-B42F-96CE91C5737D.jpeg

Keeper would love to be let off in this snow! The poor lad. His first real snow and he has to stay on the lead.
81FEA7EF-34C7-49A8-A0EA-B7E0C4502A6B.jpeg

Thanks Kim, Will look Grubs. I'm checking reviews this time before I buy which was why I was interested in personal recommendation... I'll bear in mind your friend may be biased. Can't believe you don't use wellies or neoprene's in particular! I live in mine and yes I have resorted to bread bags tucked up inside my jods to try to keep them from sliding off. Walking up and down a steep hill to get to the yard and back usually means my socks have slipped south let alone plastic bags.

We now have a good 8inches and it is blowing but blindingly bright in between showers when the sun comes out. There were thunder and hail storms at 6am which was very dramatic because the lightening was so bright and blue, reflecting off the snow in the dark. The horses were a bit spooked by it. There were a few flashes as I was walking up to the yard and I thought maybe snow was stretching overhead power cables somewhere in the distance and causing them to spark but half an hour later there was a crash and flash overhead in the village and then the rumble and hail started to hammer down on the stable roof. Really weird weather! Keeping the water liquid is proving challenging in the yard and the pens and the bantams won't come out of their little coops because the snow has blown into their runs, even though they are covered. Not great for feather footed birds, but plenty of people have to cope with weather like this the whole winter, so can't complain and it does look pretty!
Yes, I can imagine Keeper would love to play in this but he would end up a huge snowball, covered in dangleberries although that photo shows it has already started. What an adorable face he has. I bet you are finding that very hard to resist!

Keeper sure looks sad in your picture Kim. He is pleading with you to run free. Poor Keeper, puppies just love snow. Give him tummy scratches for me. :)

You guys sure are getting the snow over there! When will Keeper be healthy enough to be off leash Kim? If I remember right, he has another vet appointment, right?

Thanks Kim, Will look Grubs. I'm checking reviews this time before I buy which was why I was interested in personal recommendation... I'll bear in mind your friend may be biased. Can't believe you don't use wellies or neoprene's in particular! I live in mine and yes I have resorted to bread bags tucked up inside my jods to try to keep them from sliding off. Walking up and down a steep hill to get to the yard and back usually means my socks have slipped south let alone plastic bags.

We now have a good 8inches and it is blowing but blindingly bright in between showers when the sun comes out. There were thunder and hail storms at 6am which was very dramatic because the lightening was so bright and blue, reflecting off the snow in the dark. The horses were a bit spooked by it. There were a few flashes as I was walking up to the yard and I thought maybe snow was stretching overhead power cables somewhere in the distance and causing them to spark but half an hour later there was a crash and flash overhead in the village and then the rumble and hail started to hammer down on the stable roof. Really weird weather! Keeping the water liquid is proving challenging in the yard and the pens and the bantams won't come out of their little coops because the snow has blown into their runs, even though they are covered. Not great for feather footed birds, but plenty of people have to cope with weather like this the whole winter, so can't complain and it does look pretty!
Yes, I can imagine Keeper would love to play in this but he would end up a huge snowball, covered in dangleberries although that photo shows it has already started. What an adorable face he has. I bet you are finding that very hard to resist!

Always good to check reviews :) Everyone is different I guess, Scott loves his Hunter wellies and Charlie loves his Barbour ones. I hate them all! I have a pair of Charlie’s Sealand cast off’s that I use at home for chicken duties and they cripple me. Half an hour in them and my calf’s and feet hurt. Don’t know what it is about them but I just don’t get on with them. I have long leather ones for doing the horse’s. A pair of Dubarry and a pair of Ariat. More pricey yes but so worth it if you look after them. Can have them on all day with no problem or pain. Plus they don’t eat socks! :lol:

The snow thunder didn’t make it here but there was apparently some in Hull. Scares me at the best of times so having it with snow would have seriously spooked me!

Same here on the water, have had to refill in the house as my outside tap at home was even frozen. It has never frozen the tap here so it must be cold! To be expected at the farm but not here! Had to use the small kitchen tap in the barn at the yard today which took forever but at least H got fresh water. His water was frozen up in his stable, long time since that happened.

Yes Keeper was making a good start on his dangleberries! He can give you the guilt trip with that face I tell you!

Keeper sure looks sad in your picture Kim. He is pleading with you to run free. Poor Keeper, puppies just love snow. Give him tummy scratches for me. :)

I know Leyla he looks so badly done to in that pic! He would have loved it today if he could have run around. He had a few leaps and excitable moments on the lead but still not the same as running. He’s had lots of tummy scratches and attention today as Charlie was not at school. They closed today because of the snow and how bad the roads were this morning. Charlie is hoping for more tomorrow so he can have another day off.

You guys sure are getting the snow over there! When will Keeper be healthy enough to be off leash Kim? If I remember right, he has another vet appointment, right?

We are but I’ve had enough of it now Debby! Fingers crossed just showers tomorrow and that should be it :fl

Keeper is back for an X-ray on March 23 and I’m hoping the vet will say he can be let off if all looks well with it.
If so it will be a relief both him and us. I’m dreading letting him go free as breaking it or another leg is on my mind but it has to be done one day.

Back
Top Bottom