Harvesting Question

akostka1988

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Alton, ME
So I have discovered a rooster among the 6 pullets I had purchased. I have also discovered a male guinea of the 3 I have left from the 4 I purchased along side the pullets. The guinea has now taken to attacking the rooster whenever they are in the same section of their confinement (indoor or outdoor doesn’t seem to matter). Which really sucks because their waterer is kept outside to give them more space inside the coop. I have opted to harvest the guinea because frankly I have already grown attached to and named he rooster. (He’s a handsome golden boy I’ve named Pony Boy 😊). I guess I’m wondering when will the guinea be “ready” for harvesting? They are currently about 2 months old. Still don’t have their full adult pattern.

So I have discovered a rooster among the 6 pullets I had purchased. I have also discovered a male guinea of the 3 I have left from the 4 I purchased along side the pullets. The guinea has now taken to attacking the rooster whenever they are in the same section of their confinement (indoor or outdoor doesn’t seem to matter). Which really sucks because their waterer is kept outside to give them more space inside the coop. I have opted to harvest the guinea because frankly I have already grown attached to and named he rooster. (He’s a handsome golden boy I’ve named Pony Boy 😊). I guess I’m wondering when will the guinea be “ready” for harvesting? They are currently about 2 months old. Still don’t have their full adult pattern.
I haven’t raised my guineas for food, though I believe that @R2elk has experience. I seem to recall 4 months as being an appropriate age. I did butcher a guinea cock killed by a dog at about 4 mo, and got a 2 kg finished weight.

I guess I’m wondering when will the guinea be “ready” for harvesting? They are currently about 2 months old. Still don’t have their full adult pattern.

They are edible at any age. Based on my experience with chickens--if it's causing trouble, then it's time to harvest that bird.

I don't have enough guinea experience to know what age they reach full size, or what age is more likely to have tender or tough meat.

Back
Top Bottom