Has anybody bought chickens from Sandhill Preservation?

poultrycrazy

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
:)
I was wondering if anybody on BYC has ever aquired chickens, guineas, geese, or ducks from Sandhill Preservation. I really want to see pics of them and the breed. I am thinking about getting some white houdans, BBR Kraienkoppes, Buff Leghorn, Black Sumatra, R.C. RIR ect. Post away!!

We got their fall assortment a few months ago. My pics are all of baby chicks, so somewhat useless to tell you whether they meet the APA standard, but they're now adolescent and we're happy with them. Sandhill is all about preserving the utility qualities of rare breeds. You are not going to get show-quality lacing or color. You will not get the extremes of feathering and cushions. You WILL get, at least in our experience, the size they're supposed to be, you will get purebreds that look like Mediterranean or like American or like European birds, and he's honest about what he can and cannot provide. Our RIRs are dark mahogany; our Jersey Giants are twice the size of the others. All are very slow maturing, heritage-type birds. Since we got the assortment (meaning we did not expect standard birds) our Dorkings have four toes, but we expected that. They have lovely color and I'll let you know on the type in another year once they're actually mature. The various Leghorns we got from him are, I think, the best type-wise so far, high tight tails and bright yellow legs, tight feathering and decent body type. But they're young still and nowhere near mature.

We ordered 24. He sent 30, 20 chickens and 10 pearl guineas. One was DOA, one died of an injury that was my fault. My dachshund x got another one. All the others are doing great, no illness, good eaters, good foragers. Since we got mostly Mediterranean breeds they're pretty flighty, but we have one "pet" Polish who loves people and the Jersey Giants are very gentle and calm (and, somewhat miraculously, have long backs and low tails, which is unusual for hatchery birds - I am waiting to see how they mature but I'm excited so far). The guineas are great; didn't lose a single one and they're closely bonded to the chickens and great little watchdog birds.

On balance I would definitely order from him again, especially colored Leghorns and Dorkings. I would not look for show type in the big loose-feathered breeds where you have to work really hard each generation to get the feathering and the cushioning, because he's breeding specifically for utility. Growth, vigor, hardiness, laying. If that's what you want in a purebred heritage breed, you'll be thrilled. If you're looking to show something that's supposed to be flashy, you probably won't be.

Im impressed so far!
clap.gif

I have always been happy with sandhill's qualty. Just order early !!!!! I learn the hard way some of their breeds sale out fast.

Back
Top Bottom