Has anyone bred Pekin and welsh harlequin ducks together??

Those babies are adorable. If you're stuck with drakes and won't get rid of any, you can probably keep them if you have room, and are wiling to make fences to keep them separated during the summer. In the winter, everybody here gets along very well. I make short fences that you can step over their run. Sometimes they just try to kill each other through the fence, then they'll be tired and sleep next to each other by the fence. Go figure!

Know any one you totally trust that would like just drakes? It can work if there aren’t females @thumper650 has drakes only
I know NOONE!!! I am, apparently, or so I'm told at the vets office, the "duck lady" around here 😉 Question..... if I seperate or switch out, what will happen to the 1 that leaves or gets left, or the group that seperates?? They are very close!! I would hate to make a duck depressed or miserable. Can that happen?

Those babies are adorable. If you're stuck with drakes and won't get rid of any, you can probably keep them if you have room, and are wiling to make fences to keep them separated during the summer. In the winter, everybody here gets along very well. I make short fences that you can step over their run. Sometimes they just try to kill each other through the fence, then they'll be tired and sleep next to each other by the fence. Go figure!
Well, my 1st ducks ever were bought as 2 "sexted females". Wasnt the case. The drake is a huge pekin, twice the size of my female welsh harlequin. He ALWAYS wants to mate with her, as does she!! Are you saying they should only want to mate in the summer? My ducks dont know seasons apparently🤣🤣. With those 2, its nonstop!!! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ But, I could make fences, I suppose. Definately worth a try.👍😉

Ok, as far as the drakes are concerned, remain calm. Erin, you've got the room at your place for a drake run. I do too and will keep all my drakes unless a special person comes around that has an ideal situation for my boys. I don't want to let any of them go either. They are my babies but if they get a chance to have a good life somewhere else then that's different. So, it's not that hard to separate them but it does involve a bit of fencing and a place for them to sleep away from the girls. I can help you with that for sure. @onaharley was a great help for me and I can tell you what I did.

Actually, when I had to separate Sambo last year from the SIX girls he was ripping neck feathers from I found out that if I put his best buddy girl in with him the separation was not bad at all. They were both happy. You just have to mix and match until you get the right combination. And to think I was worried that he'd never begin to mate with any of my girls!

Your babies are so beautiful, all of them! Isn't it funny that your "batches" look completely different! Joy is so BIG now she's almost outgrowing her "bow tie"!

Ok, as far as the drakes are concerned, remain calm. Erin, you've got the room at your place for a drake run. I do too and will keep all my drakes unless a special person comes around that has an ideal situation for my boys. I don't want to let any of them go either. They are my babies but if they get a chance to have a good life somewhere else then that's different. So, it's not that hard to separate them but it does involve a bit of fencing and a place for them to sleep away from the girls. I can help you with that for sure. @onaharley was a great help for me and I can tell you what I did.

Actually, when I had to separate Sambo last year from the SIX girls he was ripping neck feathers from I found out that if I put his best buddy girl in with him the separation was not bad at all. They were both happy. You just have to mix and match until you get the right combination. And to think I was worried that he'd never begin to mate with any of my girls!

Your babies are so beautiful, all of them! Isn't it funny that your "batches" look completely different! Joy is so BIG now she's almost outgrowing her "bow tie"!
I know right?!?! They're only a week or less apart, yet totally different sizes. Did you see the blue & green on Stella & Celestes wings? I love it. I guess I need to start thinking of boyish names that are close to the names I originally gave them. Kind of silly I didnt think of that before, I should of named them more neutral names.

I know right?!?! They're only a week or less apart, yet totally different sizes. Did you see the blue & green on Stella & Celestes wings? I love it. I guess I need to start thinking of boyish names that are close to the names I originally gave them. Kind of silly I didnt think of that before, I should of named them more neutral names.
I did see the blue and green on the wings of Stella and Celeste. It's amazing how the dark ones seem to have vibrant colors on a small part of their feathers. @Runner duck mom's chocolate ducks both have it as do my 2 dark ones. You at least were able to get a great picture. I never seem to be able to catch the moment when the sun/light hits them just right. The colors seem to change right before your eyes as they move. I've never been able to get a picture as good as yours.

I wouldn't worry about the names. I had my Daisy who was ALL boy but I never could call him anything but Daisy. It was my first hatch and I was clueless plus he was my favorite snuggle duck. @Runner duck mom has Sheldon and Melvin who are both girls. I was going to name 2 of the ducks I hatched last spring (runner duck mom's grand ducks) Sheldon and Joan after my aunt and uncle but they turned out opposite so I just call them Shelly and Jonah.

I did see the blue and green on the wings of Stella and Celeste. It's amazing how the dark ones seem to have vibrant colors on a small part of their feathers. @Runner duck mom's chocolate ducks both have it as do my 2 dark ones. You at least were able to get a great picture. I never seem to be able to catch the moment when the sun/light hits them just right. The colors seem to change right before your eyes as they move. I've never been able to get a picture as good as yours.

I wouldn't worry about the names. I had my Daisy who was ALL boy but I never could call him anything but Daisy. It was my first hatch and I was clueless plus he was my favorite snuggle duck. @Runner duck mom has Sheldon and Melvin who are both girls. I was going to name 2 of the ducks I hatched last spring (runner duck mom's grand ducks) Sheldon and Joan after my aunt and uncle but they turned out opposite so I just call them Shelly and Jonah.
That's funny. They dont know anyway!😉 Other than Joy, Celeste is my cuddle bug, just like Max was. Everytime I walk in the room shes up & to the front waiting for me to lean down. Once I do, she just leans her head against my arm, cheek, or whatever she can get to. 😍I melt right there.🥰
I do have a question for anyone.... It gets very hot down here. Miserable hot, (that's why were moving to the mountains as soon as were able.) We stay in the high 90s here all summer, often hitting 100 & a little higher. What does everyone do or have to keep their ducks cool? Does just a pool/pond & shade work for them ok? Since Celeste is apparently Extremely "hot natured", per our vet, I want to go ahead & start making a plan for our pen outside. Just wanted to see everyone's thoughts & ideas on this, what has worked for you, what hasn't, etc.... Thanks

That's funny. They dont know anyway!😉 Other than Joy, Celeste is my cuddle bug, just like Max was. Everytime I walk in the room shes up & to the front waiting for me to lean down. Once I do, she just leans her head against my arm, cheek, or whatever she can get to. 😍I melt right there.🥰
I do have a question for anyone.... It gets very hot down here. Miserable hot, (that's why were moving to the mountains as soon as were able.) We stay in the high 90s here all summer, often hitting 100 & a little higher. What does everyone do or have to keep their ducks cool? Does just a pool/pond & shade work for them ok? Since Celeste is apparently Extremely "hot natured", per our vet, I want to go ahead & start making a plan for our pen outside. Just wanted to see everyone's thoughts & ideas on this, what has worked for you, what hasn't, etc.... Thanks
When it gets really hot I freeze some basins with water, fruit and veggies frozen in them and put them in the run for them to pick at. I brought a ton of surgery plastic basins up here with me when I retired. If you know anyone who works in that hospital or dr office they might have access to them. Other than the pool that's all I can think of right now. Changing the pool water out will help refresh it too but that can be time consuming.

Back
Top Bottom