Has anyone else bought more than they have room to plant?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mistylady, Mar 21, 2009.

1. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    I had a surprise in the mail! I had forgotten that I bought some trees last year when they were on clearance to be delivered this spring! Oops! I found room for the 15 pines but not sure where to put the cherry trees! And last month I ordered 15 more pines because I forgot that I had ordered the others! Different kinds though! So I'm trying to figure out where they will go. I think they will end up by the fence. Then I got a sale paper from Gurney! Two pawpaw trees needed a home! I have never eaten a pawpaw but they look and sound interesting. And they were cheap! Some blueberry plants too. I wonder if dh will notice the new trees and plants! [​IMG] I should be ashamed ... but I'm not!!!!

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Nothin to be ashamed of. Plants are like chickens. You can never
    have enough. [​IMG]

2 BYC members sent me seeds and I've hit a few seed sales at the local
    stores. I need a 40 acre pasture to plant all of them. [​IMG]

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Every darn spring....the Lowes mark down table is the worst. I got huge geraniums for $1.50; and I don't have a clue where I'm going to put them. If you have a local Lowes, they put the "old" plants on the sale rack the day the trucks deliver new plants....75% off.

I need that 40 acre pasture too; although a half section might be even better!

4. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    when you live by flowerworld, of course you buy more than you can plant. At least I stopped buying trees.

Now if only I can stop buying gunnera, bananas and too many azalias!

I just prune the heck out of everything and I'm good to go.

now the vegetable garden, thats an entirely different story. I stuff it full of my seedlings, they die, then i get little plants at Fred Meyers and off I go!
    Nevermind the fact that I dont' have room for the melons, beans, or other crawlie vining veggies and fruits!

But I wouldnt have it any other way!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  5. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    A few weeks ago DH and I went to the Farm Supply Store for chicken feed and came home with a huge stack of seed packets. We already had so many that we had to set up a box to categorize and alphabetize them just to keep up with what we've got. I have no idea what we're going to do with six varieties of cucumbers. We live on five acres, and we plant a large garden (at least to us it's large). We'll plant at least a few from each packet this year. We're starting our first seeds in the hoop house tomorrow. YAY!

6. breconbcs

breconbcs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I am a plant-aholic. Last fall I lost 98% of my african violets which has left the stands empty downstairs. Every year I spend money at the nurseries and buy plants on my wanted list. This year, I decided to grow some of my own from that list. Well now my stands are almost full...lol. I have perennials, annuals and some veggies started. DH hadn't been downstairs for a while and when he saw them yesterday he asked why I went so overboard...my reply, cause I could. LOL Usually I can't get seeds to sprout but this year, almost everything I planted sprouted. So I have 50 broadleaf chive plants, 20 garlic chive, 75 toad flax (you get the idea) LOL. Looks like I will be selling some cause I have no space for them all outside. [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Only Australian pines work well in Phoenix... I see a few Ponderosas in well irrigated neighborhoods.

Wishing I had your problem.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I wish I had that many too, my house is on top a hill in an open field and the winds this winter were horrible. I plan to plant some this year but I dont think they can grow fast enough for me. Now the veg garden is another story, I think I bit off more than I can chew this year. I have the space but do I have the time [​IMG]

9. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Well this year I did my normal, starting my garden by seed. Well my I was planning to have about 60-70 tomato plants. Well after I thinned them out I have 170 now. I will be doing a lot of canning this summer.

10. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    Quote:[​IMG] wow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by