Has anyone ever used Angel Food Ministries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I kind of have to disagree. When she called the OP out about buying some geese that was pretty rude.
But to each their own

Quote:
I kind of have to disagree. When she called the OP out about buying some geese that was pretty rude.
But to each their own

I agree with Sarah

Last edited:
It says it was started in 1994 to help people who are struggling financially. I realize there are no guidelines as far as income, but I personally wouldn't feel right using it.

My point is that if a person is hurting financially and they need/want to use a service like this maybe they need to give some serious thought to selling down their bird numbers to make more money available to feed themselves and their families.

SarahFair.....it's a public forum so it's ok to state an opinion that doesn't go along with others. Stating a different opinion isn't making a fuss. If it ruffles some feathers maybe there's a reason.

I used it once. Our church was considering to become a host, and I'm on the council, so I was asked to be the guinea pig. I must say that it was very disappointing. I suppose if you were struggling, it would be a life-saving opportunity. However the food is very low grade. The meat didn't appear to have been processed in the cleanest of measures and had an off taste to the point that I couldn't eat it. What I mean by this is that it was as if the meat had been butchered too quickly, and the intestines or the bladder had been opened.

Maybe I got a bad batch of food.
idunno.gif
Others may have had better luck with this, but I was not impressed. Our church didn't become a host due to the fact that there was another church close by who was already hosting. Still I say it would be an excellent opportunity for the needy.

I didn't realize this ministry was so wide spread! YAYY for that!

We have a place here for it. We completly live off of what we hunt/raise/grow and only will eat fresh foods, nothing processed or anything so I for that reason I haven't tried it out yet. My MIL gets it and she loves it!! I have heard only GREAT things about it! It is a WONDERFUL resource for people to get more food for their $$! Most everyone I know uses this.

This is for everyone, not just low income families who can't feed themselves - it isn't like government assistance. It is for EVERYONE to get more food for their $$. Katy just apparently doesn't understand what it is for...it is NOT just for low income families. There is always enough to go around here for everyone.

Quote:
Look Im not looking to start a little spittin match with you but you did state you opinion and then went out of your way to call the OP out about something she wanted to buy.

I have never used it, but I checked it out and I know I can go to Aldi's and Kroger and get the same amount of food (or more!) for that price. You need to be willing to base your menu on things that are on sale and clip coupons, but it is easily done for me! I have a family of five, and including diapers and formula, I spend about $60 on groceries each week.

Quote:
That's my problem, I have a family of 6 and my husband eats enough for 3 people, so it's like feeding 9 people. If I fix chicken breast, my husband will eat 3, he eats three of everything............ I can't eat half of one without gaining 5 pounds.
he.gif

I looked at some of their meat, and I can actually buy it cheaper from the store.

My MIL use to order from them and she liked it. I think she still does, not positive though.

Quote:
Look Im not looking to start a little spittin match with you but you did state you opinion and then went out of your way to call the OP out about something she wanted to buy.

My opinion is if you have hundreds to spend on a pair of geese you should have more than enough money to feed your family without outside help....and it is outside help whether there are income guidelines or not. We obviously disagree on that point.

It was started to help low income families, but it couldn't survive without the widespread participation of people of different economic levels. You pay for everything you get. It is not subsidized. When you participate, you are NOT taking anything from the poor. You are helping to create a bigger buying base to get lower prices. The more people that participate, the lower the prices are. It's pretty easy to understand that buying from Angel Food helps you and the poor, because it reduces the cost. Like I said before, the more the merrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom