Has Anyone Ordered Chicks from "Valley Farms Hatchery" in Alabama

the chicks are actually in a range of days from today to Saturday. but I'm betting they will come in late tonight or early tomorrow morning. how fast was the shipping for everyone else. our P.O. is really bad about getting things to the right house so we are picking up at the P.O.

the chicks are actually in a range of days from today to Saturday. but I'm betting they will come in late tonight or early tomorrow morning. how fast was the shipping for everyone else. our P.O. is really bad about getting things to the right house so we are picking up at the P.O.
I got an email saying my chicks were shipped on the 21st which was a Wednesday they arrived Friday morning of the 23rd. But the Hatchery is less than 2 hours away from me.

I was thrilled with my brown egg layers special.. ..huge beautiful Chicks. . Now at 8 weeks I know I have 3 red ranger and one tricolor rainbow broiler... Each weighs close to 4 pounds dwarfing the single breeds I bought.. All are healthy and beautiful . I just didn't think I would get broiler hens as brown egg layers.
Picture is of the tricolor with a sapphire gem same age and golden comet a week younger.
IMG_20180417_220010.jpg

You don't want them traveling around in the mail carrier's vehicle until s/he gets to your house on their route. And the carrier doesn't want to listen to them peeping all that time either. The clerk at the PO will be tired of hearing them by the time you arrive even if they call the minute they walk into the building and you get there 15 minutes later.

I'm sure you have everything already set up but if you are raising them for some time in the house, read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958

I picked up my 6 from Meyer this morning just after 7 AM (when the building is opened for PO box holders, the window doesn't open until 7:30). They peeped all the way home. 3 of them found the MHP cave before I even showed it to them. 2 minutes after they were taken out of the shipping box they were all in the cave and quiet. Peeping means distress.

I had hoped to get to the PO before they called the house (checked the USPS tracking and saw they had left the local distribution center at 4:30 AM) because that would wake up DD1. Found out later from her that they had called at 6:45 just after I left the house. That tells you how much they want those chicks out of their workspace and it isn't only for the benefit of the chicks ;) I told Rebecca I figured she wanted them out of there and she said "people think the peeping is cute. Yeah ... not so much" :lau

I got an email saying my chicks were shipped on the 21st which was a Wednesday they arrived Friday morning of the 23rd. But the Hatchery is less than 2 hours away from me.
yikes! i live in new England so i will probably get mine Saturday.

I'm sure you have everything already set up but if you are raising them for some time in the house, read this:
i do have everything set up and i have raised chicks before too (i have been raising them for eight years), but I thank you for the link.

The clerk at the PO will be tired of hearing them by the time you arrive even if they call the minute they walk into the building and you get there 15 minutes later.
I'm in the center of a super small town so i live less than i minute away from the P.O.
@Alabama Fly and @bruceha2000 thank you both for the help!

yikes! i live in new England so i will probably get mine Saturday.
Do you have a USPS tracking number? Do you know when they hatched?

Mine from Meyer hatched and shipped Monday, USPS tracking showed them arriving at the facility outside Cleveland airport that evening. Nothing yesterday. Today showed arrival at the local sorting facility at 2:30 AM and leaving it around 4:30 AM which meant that is when they went to the PO. I picked them up just after the building opened at 7 AM.

Back
Top Bottom