Has anyone seen a GLW pullet like this?

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
I ordered two Golden-laced Wyandottes six weeks ago. One of them has turned out to be, not a GLW, but an Ameraucana. The other one is feathering out, but she has no lace patterning. If not for her yellow legs, I'd suspect she was an Ameraucana, too. Take a look. Is she a GLW or something else?
45606_p1010021.jpg

My suspicion is that your bird is a GLW. She looks very similar to the one we got. Our SLW has a very striking silver/black pattern just like you would expect, but the GLW has an extremely subdued and mixed pattern. Very little gold on her sides, and on her back she actually has some subtle double lacing. Interesting, but not what I expected or was looking for. I hope she's a good layer.

That's one thing Wyandottes do well, they're wicked good layers!

Maybe she'll still get some lace as she completes her feathering.

Her name is Sue, and she's quite the coy one. She pretends that she doesn't need any cuddling, but she always ends up in my lap with all of her other five brooder mates.

I get my chicks through my small local feed store that orders from Privett Hatchery in New Mexico. In fact all my chicks came from there. Up until now, all my other chicken breeds have seemed to be very high quality in displaying the most desirable color and feather designs. My other Wyandottes I got last year all have gorgeous lacing. Not that I love little Sue any less. When she gets through this awkward "teen" stage, she may end up being a real stunner.

My Gladys looks like that, I have 4 glw and she is dark with only a little bit of gold lacing around her. Her sisters look like the standard with Trouble have a lot of gold on her. Gladys doesnt seem to care that she doesnt have as much bling as her sisters. She is a very sweet girl.

The responses are much appreciated!

Have you all noticed the independent nature of GLW's, by the way? My one adult GLW Irene has always been a loner, and Sue my two month old pullet is very similar. Sue hasn't yet displayed the fierce temper that Irene has. I went through a brief broody madness with Irene, and she was a terror for a few days until I broke her. Even still, if I need to snatch up one of the chickens for some reason, Irene charges to their defense, ready to do battle! I've seen nothing similar with the SLW's.

Back
Top Bottom