Has anyone seen eggs like this?

LongevityKitchn

In the Brooder
May 20, 2015
NW Indiana
Hello,
This is our second year raising egg layers as a hobby. Just this year I have noticed we have an issue with some eggs where, when boiled, half of
IMG_8932.JPG
the yolk is a strange creamy texture with a gray tint (I give these eggs to my dogs). I can't think of what's different this year except that maybe we don't grab the eggs as often. Is this from the heat? Or is one of our hens sick?

Humidity effects boiling, I think. James Bond likes his Marans eggs boiled for three and a third minutes, but in my experience, this is not near long enough. How long do you cook yours for?

I do find it odd. The middle is usually the last to cook.

Yeah it doesn't have anything to do with boiling because I change the method, and length of time I boil them always. Sometimes soft boiled, medium, or hard. There's definitely something wrong with the eggs. It's usually 1 or 2 eggs out of 8 boiled eggs that look like this. Some are perfect, a couple are like this
Humidity effects boiling, I think. James Bond likes his Marans eggs boiled for three and a third minutes, but in my experience, this is not near long enough. How long do you cook yours for?

I do find it odd. The middle is usually the last to cook.
it

Yeah it doesn't have anything to do with boiling because I change the method, and length of time I boil them always. Sometimes soft boiled, medium, or hard. There's definitely something wrong with the eggs. It's usually 1 or 2 eggs out of 8 boiled eggs that look like this. Some are perfect, a couple are like this

it

Have you noticed any weird qualities when opening eggs into a dish, or is it just after boiling? Is one hen producing them?

@KikisGirls have you ever seen this?

Good Question about noticing it in a raw egg. I did notice some that were super runny and the yolk just sort of falls apart. I thought they were just old and I wasn't staying organized. But now that I think of it, maybe they are not that old and it's the same issue! We have 3 hens that hatch this color egg. So I'm not sure who hatches what.

Have you noticed any weird qualities when opening eggs into a dish, or is it just after boiling? Is one hen producing them?

@KikisGirls have you ever seen this?

Good Question about noticing it in a raw egg. I did notice some that were super runny and the yolk just sort of falls apart. I thought they were just old and I wasn't staying organized. But now that I think of it, maybe they are not that old and it's the same issue! We have 3 hens that hatch this color egg. So I'm not sure who hatches what.

http://www.alexandrazissu.com/az-blog/2011/08/18/qa-watery-egg-whites/

To check freshness you can float them in water. If it floats at all, it needs to be pitched.

We have 3 hens that hatch lay this color egg.
That is weird...and icky. Might be good to figure out which bird is laying the funky ones. Kinda of a pain but isolating each one for a couple days usually does the trick.
I use wire crates for isolation.

If it floats at all, it needs to be pitched.
Just because an egg floats does not mean it is inedible or 'bad'...just means it's older or more prone to evaporation. Breaking egg in dish is the only way to tell if it 'bad'.

Back
Top Bottom