Has anyone's ducks body shivered when in the water?

Moments

Songster
Jun 17, 2023
Has anyone's ducks body shivered when in the water? This isn't due to excitement. She was attacked by a fox on Saturday and saw vet this morning. She's been limping and wanted to alleviate some stress on her leg. Her wings also start to droop after getting wet and she flutters them up and down.

That sounds like what they do when the ruffle their feathers to allow the water to get deeper in when they bath. When mine do it they seem happy to have nice new water. Nothing to worry about.

Has anyone's ducks body shivered when in the water? This isn't due to excitement. She was attacked by a fox on Saturday and saw vet this morning. She's been limping and wanted to alleviate some stress on her leg. Her wings also start to droop after getting wet and she flutters them up and down.
What are her injuries?

One has superficial wounds and his wings sag also after being in the water but didn't notice shivering. The female who shivers has puffiness on her back they said is sub-cutaneous emphysema, it is due to damage to an air sac, lung or trachea and it will resolve on its own.

That sounds like what they do when the ruffle their feathers to allow the water to get deeper in when they bath. When mine do it they seem happy to have nice new water. Nothing to worry about.
When mine ruffle there's as you're saying they puff up to look larger and shake/flap their wings etc but they've never dropped. And they lift them slightly up and down for hours after. They've never done that before

When mine ruffle there's as you're saying they puff up to look larger and shake/flap their wings etc but they've never dropped. And they lift them slightly up and down for hours after. They've never done that before
Also they'd do it when I'd spray their injuries to prevent infection, same reaction. I thought maybe it was irritation to the spray and then they did it in the water too, which I thought was odd

How are they doing today?
The male is doing great. The female took a larger hit so she's getting there. Getting her sassy quack back which I was relieved to hear. She's pretty much the boss of her flock, they all respect her and she pretty much runs the show so to see her the way she's been has been difficult. Air from her air sac ended up leaking into her body so she's very inflated right now, plus she's got injury above her leg so she's limping. She's not really eating a whole lot other than a few peas and cucumbers, I've tried different things with her feed but it's a no-go. She will forge some though when she's outside so that's good. The vet gave me critical care for her but I can't really get it in her very well, plus she has pain meds and antibiotics that have to be given in two separate syringes so a third syringe is not really anything she's excited about. She's not able to bring very well when she gets out of the water so she's wet longer than she should be, so I'm not sure really if she should be in the pool right now, along with the shivering that is result as well

Back
Top Bottom