Hatch-Along - Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

Day 15! Candled with a much brighter LED flashlight tonight and had awesome results. Of our 42 eggies, 36 are veined, and most with visiable movement, 5 are questionable, but all darker so are staying in, and one lighter blue/white layer cross is for sure a dud, the blood ring is very pronounced. I think we're going to need all three storage bin brooder boxes. Not bad for our first hatch ever :)

Day 15! Candled with a much brighter LED flashlight tonight and had awesome results. Of our 42 eggies, 36 are veined, and most with visiable movement, 5 are questionable, but all darker so are staying in, and one lighter blue/white layer cross is for sure a dud, the blood ring is very pronounced. I think we're going to need all three storage bin brooder boxes. Not bad for our first hatch ever :)
highfive.gif

Day 14 candling results! Out of 31 total eggs, 19 are developing, 8 were infertile, 3 welsummer eggs are still a ?, and I dropped one :(. I egg-topsied all of the presumed infertile eggs and they indeed were infertile. I am starting to think all three welsummer eggs may be infertile too. They are just so darn dark. I guess I will leave them in until lockdown and try to make a decision then. I drew all the aircells on the developing eggs and need to measure them against the aircell chart. To my own untrained eye, they look rather large.

Day 14 candling results! Out of 31 total eggs, 19 are developing, 8 were infertile, 3 welsummer eggs are still a ?, and I dropped one :(. I egg-topsied all of the presumed infertile eggs and they indeed were infertile. I am starting to think all three welsummer eggs may be infertile too. They are just so darn dark. I guess I will leave them in until lockdown and try to make a decision then. I drew all the aircells on the developing eggs and need to measure them against the aircell chart. To my own untrained eye, they look rather large.
Sorry to hear about the dropped egg. Let us know the results are once you compare your aircell line compared to the chart. Ive never actually compared.

I'm also approaching day 16. I'm candling tonight for the last time. Out of 50+ I only had three that weren't developing. I had several blue, green or dk brown that I couldn't see in so unsure of them. Just waiting with the rest of you. Sue Good luck all!

Sorry to hear about the dropped egg. Let us know the results are once you compare your aircell line compared to the chart. Ive never actually compared.
Ok, pretty sure my air cells are way too small! According to the picture I found of how largethe air cell should be at this point my eggs should be at day 7 of incubation instead of day 14. I am running a dry hatch and my hygrometer says my humidity has been staying between 39-44%. Maybe there isn't enough airflow in incubator? (It's a still air LG with an automatic turner). I'm am not sure as to what I should do.

I thought I should mention, the flashlight we used is a Maglight Mini LED Pro that the hubs picked up at Home Depot for $20. Brightest thing I've ever seen for the size. If you aim down through tthe aircell, you can see so much with it, even on the darker shells, which makes me reallllly suspect the 5 we moved to the top. None are leaking, so I'll check again at lockdown and see what happens.

I did some more research and found some better pictures diagramming air cell development. I now think my eggs are right on track. I wish I could figure out how to copy and paste it on here. There is a really good picture on the 4th annual BYC NYD hathalong thread. (I really need to figure out how to share links to other threads as well.)

I thought I should mention, the flashlight we used is a Maglight Mini LED Pro that the hubs picked up at Home Depot for $20. Brightest thing I've ever seen for the size. If you aim down through tthe aircell, you can see so much with it, even on the darker shells, which makes me reallllly suspect the 5 we moved to the top. None are leaking, so I'll check again at lockdown and see what happens.
Thanks for the information about the flashlight. I may have to get one of those. Even when not candling eggs it would be handy to have around the house. We have some Welsummer eggs that have been difficult to see through too. (And they aren't even very dark)!

Back
Top Bottom