Hatch-Along - Setting eggs week of Feb 4th..anyone else?

Everyone sure is being quiet, huh?
smile.png
Not much to talk about this early in the Hatchalong, just a bunch of eggs in a box making baby chicks (hopefully)! I'm adding another 12 to my incubator today - some Silver Laced Wyandottes that I will be growing out for someone.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

I candled my 2 sebastopol goose eggs last night and one of them has a heart beat! The other doesn't seem viable. I will do everything in my power to get this egg to hatch. It's air cell never reattached and still moves from side to side, but I'm hopeful. Today is day 9 of incubation, so 23 days left to go!

I candled my 2 sebastopol goose eggs last night and one of them has a heart beat! The other doesn't seem viable. I will do everything in my power to get this egg to hatch. It's air cell never reattached and still moves from side to side, but I'm hopeful. Today is day 9 of incubation, so 23 days left to go!

What did you decide to do with the one that didn't seem viable? Will you give it a few more days? Good luck!

What did you decide to do with the one that didn't seem viable? Will you give it a few more days? Good luck!
Yeah, I'll give it another 5 days to be on the safe side. They have white shells so I can see in them pretty well and I'm fairly confident that the one isn't viable.

I really hope that I can get the viable one to hatch, these eggs are normally $30 a piece and I really want a sebastopol goose.

So when will you be candling?

Yeah, I'll give it another 5 days to be on the safe side. They have white shells so I can see in them pretty well and I'm fairly confident that the one isn't viable.

I really hope that I can get the viable one to hatch, these eggs are normally $30 a piece and I really want a sebastopol goose.

So when will you be candling?

Hope you get at least one to hatch!

I will candle a few of them around day 4 or 5 because they are from a Swedish Flower Hen of mine that just started laying. I didn't even check for fertility, I just put in her first eggs since I was setting some anyway. I want to see what's going on with these because a friend of mine wants some, and I don't want to give her any if they aren't fertile yet....I will know to just give her eggs from my other Swedish Flower Hen only and wait a while for my other girl to mature some. Otherwise, I'd like to wait and candle the rest on day 10, I try to handle them as little as possible. I have to talk myself into being patient enough, though!!

Well, out of my 4 random eggs, I candled them last night and was surprised to see the heart beating on 3 of them!! That's so exciting! I wasn't expecting to have that many that were fertalized. The last egg is a little brown egg with white spots on it and its pretty dark so I'm hoping that it's also developing but I just can't see it. But even if the last one doesn't develope I'm still very impressed with my homemade incubator and super excited for what comes next.

Well, out of my 4 random eggs, I candled them last night and was surprised to see the heart beating on 3 of them!! That's so exciting! I wasn't expecting to have that many that were fertalized. The last egg is a little brown egg with white spots on it and its pretty dark so I'm hoping that it's also developing but I just can't see it. But even if the last one doesn't develope I'm still very impressed with my homemade incubator and super excited for what comes next.

They're coming right along! Porous eggs make it very hard to see what's going on.

I got a happy surprise today. My friend who raises beautiful Buff Cochins has 14 eggs and her incubator is full. I am going to trade her for a pair of quail. I just happen to have 14 spaces available in the incubator after the SLW eggs I am adding today, so I'll put them all in when she drops off her eggs today.

I set 41 over three weeks ago and only one hatched. They were "due" on Wednesday and one hatched on Friday and nothing else...yet. From the ones I could candle, all but 3 were developing. The others are too dark; brown and green to see anything. Not sure how long to wait....

Seeing this for my first time was absolutely amazing!!! This is the large white egg that I have and I believe it came from a Leghorn hen. I took this last night which was day 4. I fear I may become addicted to hatching!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom