Hatch-Along - Setting eggs week of Feb 4th..anyone else?

Warning! Newbie question!!! Lol

So my little brown egg with white spots just doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. It's really hard to see in because its so dark but I can see in my other brown egg. Today is day six and it still just looks like a bigger yolk inside. The egg is so dark I can't even see the air pocket. So how long should I leave it in the incubator? What should I be looking for in this dark egg besides veins?

Candle on Day 10. In the meantime, peruse all the threads on BYC that cover this. There are lots of pictures that will help you get an idea of what you will be looking for. Once you see a viable, developing egg vs a non-developing egg at Day 10, the difference is very distinct.

I candles tonight which is days 5 and 6 for my eggs. We started with 14 eggs 9 of which seem viable. 3 seemed infertile and 2 seemed to have blood rings. Im bummed because I bought 6 CCL eggs and 3 of them are no good
hit.gif
Heres hoping the last 3 turn out to be 2 girls and 1 boy.

Today is Day 8, and all 8 of mine are moving:). BUT, they're in a mini Brinsea, and I wasn't them to be doing so well since they were shipped, and now I have to keep hand turning as they won't fit in the egg turner. I can't keep leaving work during lunch to run home; now that they're a bit older, can I just turn them in the morning and twice in the evening?

Today is Day 8, and all 8 of mine are moving:). BUT, they're in a mini Brinsea, and I wasn't them to be doing so well since they were shipped, and now I have to keep hand turning as they won't fit in the egg turner. I can't keep leaving work during lunch to run home; now that they're a bit older, can I just turn them in the morning and twice in the evening?
Definitely. You could have probably done that from the start. Good Luck!

Yeah, turning does help development, but it's not a big deal. We have a seasonal at a campground, so in the summer we are gone nearly every weekend. I leave my eggs unturned during the weekends and still get near perfect hatches with healthy chicks. One guy did an experiement in which he didn't turn at all and got about an 80% hatch rate. Others have posted about their turners going out without them realizing it (so eggs were never turned) but still hatched nicely.

Turning is important for a successful hatch, it's just not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. I turn mine whenever I remember, it's not clockwork, and they get turned about 4 times a day.

Edited to add: Turning is most important during the first week of development because the embryo is unable to move on it's own.

Last edited:
Day 5 - Candled:

Of the 7 SLW shipped eggs, one was a dud. Cracked it open to check. Two more are questionable, but hopeful. The other four look good!
Of the SFH eggs, all 6 from my crested hen are going strong. All 3 from my non-crested hen are questionable still.

2 weeks til lockdown!

I'll check back in on day 7 or 8, when I will candle again.

Back
Top Bottom