Hatched his rooster 15 years ago, what is this established elderly homeowners rights agenst new 8 year old housing devlopments complaining.?

When I was growing up, childrens’ books were often about a farm, complete with cartoon pictures of a cow with a big udder and a chicken sitting on a nest.

Maybe the books didn’t show the calf that the cow gave birth to in order to start lactating, and maybe they didn’t show the farmer collecting eggs out of the hen’s nest for breakfast or sale, but at least the general idea of family farming was there.

I guess Disney and the various comics companies and software have taken over kiddie lit, and they don’t show anything about where food comes from.

You know, my dad used to complain about kids books, cartoons, and movies anthropomorphizing animals. At the time I just rolled my eyes, as I didn't see the harm.

NOW we are seeing the harm, LOL!

Good luck! We were told the land next to us could never be anything more than maybe a long driveway - too narrow for houses. Well, they got it rezoned of course and now theres a subdivision there. I know my SO went through a lot of fights back and forth, but ultimately we are grandfathered in to whatever we wanna do. When new people move in, theyll complain on the next door app and other neighbors will tell them we were here first and to get used to it. HA. I wish you luck though. Keep your animals away from the edges of your property - SO had to deal with animal cruelty from kids in the neighborhood including poisoning his dogs. :x

When I was growing up, childrens’ books were often about a farm, complete with cartoon pictures of a cow with a big udder and a chicken sitting on a nest.

Maybe the books didn’t show the calf that the cow gave birth to in order to start lactating, and maybe they didn’t show the farmer collecting eggs out of the hen’s nest for breakfast or sale, but at least the general idea of family farming was there.

I guess Disney and the various comics companies and software have taken over kiddie lit, and they don’t show anything about where food comes from.
Charlotte's Web, anyone?

People are odd sometimes. Living in the city is fine with the constant noise of traffic, honking, buses, construction and the usual racket, but take them out of their element and stick them in a newly developed rural area and the mannerless birds start singing too early, the belligerent cows low to their calves to frequently, the inconsiderate coyotes wake them in the night and the occasional delinquent rooster crow is intolerable. It's like moving in next to a railway and expecting the rail company to stop the train from whistling approaching road crossings. People are VERY odd sometimes.

Funny you mention the railroads. My boyfriend is a railroad conductor. They have specific rules for blowing the horn, but neighborhoods complain and get "quiet zones" where they can't blow their horn, then they freak out when there are accidents at crossings with no lights/arms. Don't buy a house near the railroad (or whatever bothers you) if you can't learn to tune it out or better yet, enjoy it! I have a rooster (wasn't supposed to be one) and they are illegal in my town. Luckily, I've talked to all the neighbors on both sides and across from me and no one is bothered by him, so I haven't had to rehome him yet.

There is not enough !,@,#,$ etc,etc to cover my disdain for people who come to the "country" and complain about the wildlife and country ways. They came to the country to get away from the city life but don't seem to care for the country either!
When I bought my place 40+ yrs. ago it was 1.5 acres with a few houses on one side and thousands of acres of cattle, farm & swamp land the rest. Major thoroughfare was added which cut some land out, farmland was sold because it was too small parcel to be profitable and houses started springing up.
In the meantime I have increased my "farm" to 2.5 acres and thankfully all the parcels have been sold as somewhere from 5 to 20 acre lots. The people on said parcels, so far, while not really friendly, have had animals of their own and keep to themselves. Do I count myself lucky? so far, yes.
But Houston is creeping closer. Small parcels are being divided into smaller pieces as land prices increase and people can sell off the "unused" pieces of their property at a healthy profit.
Hopefully my neighbors can hold out making a profit for another 25 yrs or so. I should be in my 90's by then and hopefully won't give a $@#^!

One. thing I have learned over the years is that there are a lot of uninformed and stupid people and the sad thing they vote - there is a gun club not too far from where I live - the club has been in existence over 60. years - people started. building houses near the club and then tried to stop the club from shooting and making noise - luckily the judge had some common sense and ruled that the club was there before they city folks moved nearby and threw out their case

Funny you mention the railroads. My boyfriend is a railroad conductor. They have specific rules for blowing the horn, but neighborhoods complain and get "quiet zones" where they can't blow their horn, then they freak out when there are accidents at crossings with no lights/arms. Don't buy a house near the railroad (or whatever bothers you) if you can't learn to tune it out or better yet, enjoy it! I have a rooster (wasn't supposed to be one) and they are illegal in my town. Luckily, I've talked to all the neighbors on both sides and across from me and no one is bothered by him, so I haven't had to rehome him yet.
Same here. I "bribed" my neighbors with fresh eggs when I started to have hens, even though it's legal in my town/city. Now this year, one of my hatchling is a roo, we decided to keep him (which isn't allowed). Have tried to put a roo collar on the poor thing, but took off after 3 weeks... long story... // Anyhow, so far neighbors seem ok with my flock, will try to "bribe" again with Christmas coming~~

There is not enough !,@,#,$ etc,etc to cover my disdain for people who come to the "country" and complain about the wildlife and country ways. They came to the country to get away from the city life but don't seem to care for the country either!
When I bought my place 40+ yrs. ago it was 1.5 acres with a few houses on one side and thousands of acres of cattle, farm & swamp land the rest. Major thoroughfare was added which cut some land out, farmland was sold because it was too small parcel to be profitable and houses started springing up.
In the meantime I have increased my "farm" to 2.5 acres and thankfully all the parcels have been sold as somewhere from 5 to 20 acre lots. The people on said parcels, so far, while not really friendly, have had animals of their own and keep to themselves. Do I count myself lucky? so far, yes.
But Houston is creeping closer. Small parcels are being divided into smaller pieces as land prices increase and people can sell off the "unused" pieces of their property at a healthy profit.
Hopefully my neighbors can hold out making a profit for another 25 yrs or so. I should be in my 90's by then and hopefully won't give a $@#^!
Greetings from between Conroe and Porter! Artivita is the name of our favorite new subdivision making life hell for us 5 and 10 acre lot owners nearby. My wife and I decided that (since we will own our land outright in just a few years) when the taxes get too high we have outstayed our welcome. Because yes, Houston is coming. It's only a matter of time.

Back
Top Bottom