Hatcheries inconsistent Sexing of chicks

Radena

Songster
6 Years
Sep 25, 2016
Oregon
I am hearing alot of complaints that when paying more for pullets they are getting more than their share of roosters. It like they bought straight run. But didn't. Shouldn't a hatchery be held responsible if you get like 7 roosters out 10 chicks? I personally only buy color sexed chicks to avoid this.

I am hearing alot of complaints that when paying more for pullets they are getting more than their share of roosters. It like they bought straight run. But didn't. Shouldn't a hatchery be held responsible if you get like 7 roosters out 10 chicks? I personally only buy color sexed chicks to avoid this.
Are you including TSC and farmstores when you hear this? Hatcheries usually have an 80-95% guarantee depending on breed and hatchery, and they do go through with the guarantee, in which if you get more than that with your order and have more than the margin of error in cockerels, they will make it right

Yes including TSC, by the time you know you got roosters they are quite grown. Food and time went into them. And many of the ones complaining think of them as pets not for eating. It's sad. But it just seems like the hatcheries are having a problem training their people how to sex a chick. And the store is the one getting the blame. Not the hatchery.

Yes including TSC, by the time you know you got roosters they are quite grown. Food and time went into them. And many of the ones complaining think of them as pets not for eating. It's sad. But it just seems like the hatcheries are having a problem training their people how to sex a chick. And the store is the one getting the blame. Not the hatchery.
Tsc doesn't sex their chicks. They just put out whatever they have, often with the wrong signs because they look close enough.

These errors occur when you buy through a third party, such as TSC, rather than directly from a hatchery. Any hatchery I've ordered from in the nearly 15 years I've kept chickens, has been very responsive to chick losses or mis-identified breed/gender.
Hmmm? So the hatcheries don't care because they figure the store will get the complaints? That's not very ethical. When ever I hear a complaint. I recommend they find out which hatchery is used. Call hatchery. And see what they say. Review accordingly. Hatcheries should be held accountable if you get more than the 90% figure. NOT THE STORE. my opinion.

How can the hatchery be held accountable for chicks sent to a store? How can you hold them responsible for being mislabeled or mishandled by the store?
This.
Hmmm? So the hatcheries don't care because they figure the store will get the complaints? That's not very ethical. When ever I hear a complaint. I recommend they find out which hatchery is used. Call hatchery. And see what they say. Review accordingly. Hatcheries should be held accountable if you get more than the 90% figure. NOT THE STORE. my opinion.
So if I sold st run barred rocks, and someone later resold them as pullets or a different breed, I should be held responsible because someone sold a bird under a label other than what I sold them?

How can the hatchery be held accountable for chicks sent to a store? How can you hold them responsible for being mislabeled or mishandled by the store?
Stores I am aquainted with rarely order straight run. So mislabelling as pullets isn't probable.

Back
Top Bottom