Hatchery vs breeder araucanas

ZurcherFarms

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Hello! I had a really unfortunate hatch this weekend and had only 1 Bielefelder chick make it (with cross beak and one eye).

"Gloria" needs a little guidance on what to do as a chicken, and all my others are way older, and I won't be hatching again till June, so I've been contemplating going to the store and getting a chick or two her age. I called ahead and there are some araucanas there today.

My question is, what can I expect from a hatchery farm store araucana? Is it just an Easter Egger? Would my kids be able to show it in 4H or do they not fit the SOP at all?

Also what in your experience does the egg color come out to? Are they brighter than Creme Legbars? Pale blue?

Thanks!

IMO, there is no such thing as a hatchery feed store Araucana. What there is: Hatcheries who send out chicks that they don't care to label correctly, and misinformed store employees.

Araucana are rare breeds, rumpless chickens with pea comb, ear tufts, and blue egg gene. You are not likely to find them at a feed store b/c they are a difficult bird to breed.

What the feed store most likely has is Easter Eggers. They are lovely birds, often have beards and muffs, should but may not have slate colored legs, and hopefully will carry blue egg gene.

I love EE, and could not imagine having a flock without them. You couldn't pay me to add Araucana to my flock.

We were just at a feed store and the first employee said they had Ameraucanas and when I asked if they are true Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers he seemed a bit insulted and rambled on about how they are definitely true because XYZ, etc. Another employee came over after the first left and told us they had Easter Eggers and pointed to the same chicks. I feel like your statement is 100% justified!!

I was kinda under the impression they are EEs too. Any tips on picking one out?

If you don't want a rooster, don't get any if they are being sold as straight run! generally, if they are chipmunk striped, the ones with more muted striping are females. If I was picking out EE chicks, I'd look for nice puffy cheeks, slate colored legs, and choose a variety of coloring.

If you don't want a rooster, don't get any if they are being sold as straight run! generally, if they are chipmunk striped, the ones with more muted striping are females. If I was picking out EE chicks, I'd look for nice puffy cheeks, slate colored legs, and choose a variety of coloring.

The ones at the store are pullets, but if I get the off chance rooster, it's ok, I could use him in my breeding projects for EEs and OEs.

Most of the chicks looked like they had green legs. I grabbed 4, one kind of yellow/silver, 2 bluish brown, and a lighter one with spots.

The Bielefelder in the pics is the non fluffy chipmunk looking one with the crossed beak.

Back
Top Bottom