HATCHERYS

I've gotten chicks 3 different places:

CraigsList (will never do that again)
Murray McMurray (good experience with them)
Fellow BYC'er (good experience with them too)

You'll probably find that everyone has a different outcome with the various places chicks can be purchased. One thing I'll point out...with the mail order hatcheries, the USPS delivery processes can make or break how healthy the chicks are by the time they reach you.

Wherever you get your chicks, wishing you the best of luck!

Mine come from My Pet Chicken, great customer service, and I can order smaller orders. They also will sex their bantams. I have had zero sexing errors with them.

I have done M Mc several times. The last time I ordered from them, I received 3 Dom cockerels instead of the pullets that I ordered. Doms are auto sexing. The company did work with me to correct this. Their Dom chicks were weak and small compared to the Dom chicks I got from Cackle this year.

I have not worked with TSC. The conditions I've seen in the bins at my local TSC are not good. A lot of pasty butt, ducks in absolute filth. And I'd not trust gender or breed statements.

I have worked with Cackle. Unfortunately, due to my location, the biggest hurdle to climb over is the fact that I am at the end of the line as far as USPS goes for shipping from ANY hatchery. If not for the fact that I was relentless in chasing down my chicks from Cackle this spring, I'd have received a box of DOA chicks. I lost 2/29. (ordered 27). Gender was accurate, breeds sent were accurate, I was for the most part pleased with the quality.

I got mine from my local feed store, I didn't ask where they source their chicks from but I feel they take pretty good care of the chicks once they get them (every time I go there the chicks look alert and have food and water, the bins are clean and covered so people don't just reach in to handle them), and the employees do their best to be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom