Hatching again after 3 years, questions

penkwolf

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2011
No not an egg... haha

Hi,

I havent hatched chickens for a few years now (since moving out) but have decided to start up again now i have my own place. I had a good success rate last time and i have bought the same type of incubator. This is manual turning.

Anyway to the point, i am feeling abit rusty about certain things so was wondering if you could help.

I have ordered 42 eggs from different places. I have ordered 12 orpingtons (splash and lavender), 12 silver campine, 6 gold campine, 6 splash cochin and 6 gold laced cochin.

My issue is that 30 of the eggs came yesterday, so i have let them settle, 6 have come today and i am still waiting on 6. Should i put these 36 in incubator tomorrow and put the other 6 in a day later or will this cause to many issues and i should just wait?

Also last time i hatched i cant remember putting water in to keep humidity up before day 18 but i have read today that water and humidity should be up to around 60% from the start? Can anyone help? What is natural humidity level without water or does this vary? I live in England so its not like its hot over here haha.

Any help would be gratefully received and im sure you'l be hearing alot more off me again now ive started. :)

Thanks

Should be fine to put them in even if they are a couple of days apart. I'd run humidity way lower than 60% if your incubator has grooved for water, I'd put just a little water into one of the grooves and let it dry out before adding more water. Day 7 when you candle you should be able to get a feel if you need more or less humidity by checking air sac. Of course a hygrometer helps, but this is the way I do it when I misplace mine.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have ordered a hygometer, what is the best humidity for them between day 1 and 18? also to refresh my memory what should it be once in lockdown?

There isnt any place for water in this incubator i have, it will have to be a cup/light spray/damp cloth etc

Also I was just marking them so I can see when I have turned them up knocked one on table. It now has a hairline crack in a lil part. Will this still have a chance of hatching?
Thanks

15-30% first 18 days then 65%+ during lockdown. As for hairline crack I'd say only one way to find out....

Last edited:
I agree with Jules on those numbers. Check your air cells at day 7 and adjust if necessary. I've read that a little candle wax wiped onto a hairline crack will help. Never done it, but I think folks have been successful with it. Also fingernail polish, but I personally don't like the thought of the smelly polish on my eggs.

Hi,

I have ordered a hygometer, what is the best humidity for them between day 1 and 18? also to refresh my memory what should it be once in lockdown?

There isnt any place for water in this incubator i have, it will have to be a cup/light spray/damp cloth etc

Personally I don't like humidity below 25% I prefer 30% but recommend 30-40% Lockdown is recomended at least 65% I like 75% The main thing is whatever humidity you choose to use, monitor your air cells to make sure it is adequate. 60% the first 17 days is WAY too high.

I personally don't recommend staggered hatches unless a person has a second bator to use as a hatch, but people do it.
Good luck on your hatch.

Cheers thanks for the answers!

Just another question...

I am out the house for about 8 hours a day, when it comes to lockdown how long does the humidity last once I get it up to 70+? Also is there a guidance to how much water I should put in? My incubator is manual and holds about 42 eggs?

Thanks again :)

Cheers thanks for the answers!

Just another question...

I am out the house for about 8 hours a day, when it comes to lockdown how long does the humidity last once I get it up to 70+? Also is there a guidance to how much water I should put in? My incubator is manual and holds about 42 eggs?

Thanks again
smile.png
I use the LG 9200 w/fan. I fill my water wells on the bottom and add a couple sponges above the screen (to get 75%). As long as I am not opening the bator, it holds most of the day if not all. If I am opening the bator-that's another story...lol I like the sponges because after lockdown, and the initial filling I don't mess with the water wells, when I need more humidity I just rewet the sponges..

Back
Top Bottom