Hatching coturnix questions

ejtrout31

Crowing
Aug 13, 2018
Deer River Minnesota
hi so I a have 4 coturnix quail I male and 3 female. I have them in one pen and want to hatch eggs so here are my questions

1. How long does it take to hatch quail

2. If I get eggs from someone how long can I leave the other eggs at room temperature for

3. What temperatures do I set and have the incubator at

4. Since I live in northern MN will it be to cold to put them in my garage with a heat lamp

5. How long do I keep them in a brooder before I put them in my shed in a hutch.

Thank you all help appreciated I am new at quail I have had chickens since I was a kid and my dad raised quail as a kid.

-Ellie Trout

i am preparing for my first quail hatch. i chose pharaoh coturnix eggs. recommended temp is 99.75 in forced air incubator. 17 days with lockdown at day 14. I am attempting to set 24 in a joanelle 12 incubator. hatchery only guarantees 70% fertility rate to day 14. mine are settling for around 10 days as i am completing a hatch and planning their hatch for Thanksgiving. some breeds of coturnix vary slightly so be sure to double check for yours! hope this helps

i am preparing for my first quail hatch. i chose pharaoh coturnix eggs. recommended temp is 99.75 in forced air incubator. 17 days with lockdown at day 14. I am attempting to set 24 in a joanelle 12 incubator. hatchery only guarantees 70% fertility rate to day 14. mine are settling for around 10 days as i am completing a hatch and planning their hatch for Thanksgiving. some breeds of coturnix vary slightly so be sure to double check for yours! hope this helps
my brooder with lamp is in the shed, but here in so indiana my temps don’t go quite as low as in northern mn so not sure about that. pharaohs can transition out of brooder at 3 weeks and start laying at 7 weeks. i’m probably going to put their hutch in the run with the chicken coops and house my chicks in there during transition to flock and then move quail into it at 3-4 weeks.....again best to check recommendations for your breed. there is also thread for november quail hatch a long full of peeps with way more quail experience than me!

I collect eggs over 10 days and keep them at around 65 degrees. I let them come to room temp for a few hours before adding them to the (already running for a day and ready) incubator. If they are too warm (over 70), they will start to develop and then die, so you want to keep them cool but not totally refrigerated.

It takes around 17 days to hatch coturnix. Turn them for 14 days and then lock them down. I candle at lockdown and remove infertile eggs then (they are yellow/green when a light is shined through). 99.5 degrees. I go with 40% humidity and then 50-55% for lockdown.

You'll want your brooder in a draft free area, so your garage could be okay if it doesn't get drafts. I use a 3x2x2 brooder with wood sides and a 250W red lamp about two feet up. They have enough space to find the zone they like.

They will start to test their wings at about 1 week old, so you'll need a screen for the top at that point. Also, I start raising the lamp a few inches every couple of days after a week old to wean them off the lamp. They can go into the hutch in the shed at 2-3 weeks old, but I like to give them a 60W lamp in one end for a week or so to give them a way to warm up if they need to. If it starts to get really cold in there, I'd keep the lamp going.

Back
Top Bottom