Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones I owe eggs to I am working on getting them out. I have been working 16 hour shifts and have been unable to pack any eggs. Please be patient with me. Sorry for the delay.

I got lovely eggs from Donna today! Lovely, lovely Cuckoo/Blue Cuckoo Marans eggs! Yay!

And I have six of the Ameraucanas out and more pipped! WooHoo!

I need to alter my brooding arrangements. Again. I tried the pine pellets in my brooder cages indoors. At first, I liked them. But Oh! My! the DUST! I am not a clean freak, but I do like things reasonable! So the babies are currently back on towels, but that's a lot of bleach loads going into the septic tank!

What are other options? I'm so used to brooding outdoors, in the henhouse, that adjusting to small batch raising is just throwing me!

I've done the bedding, paper towels and now wire. Wire is my favorite so far. The bedding is okay, but a pain to change out, especially if you use water dishes/founts, plus the dust. I swear, you get a 3" layer of dust on everything each week. The paper towels are the best for the first few days, so they don't choke on the bedding (I killed a poult when I forgot about this :( ), then I like the wire. Even the paper towels, even if changed constantly, still gave me problems with poopy feet. I was constantly washing feet and changing paper towels. The wire? Perfectly clean little feet, no sores, and since they're actually outside now, I can just clean that poo up with the entire coop cleaning, since it drops to the main flock's bedding floor. You could do it inside, just put newsprint down underneath. You'd have to change regularly still, but you wouldn't have to wash everyones' feet every day at least.

I may just hang wire cages in the henhouse and hook up heat lamps to them. I did that last year for a bit, and didn't like it...but I like this even less!

I have to vent! I packed a box of 40 BCM eggs box in box and sent it to central Oregon priority mail on Monday. They just got it. Friday. Seriously. 5 days to go 150 miles?!?!? Really upsets me. I know we have no real other avenue but that's just not priority IMO.

Well that was fun!!!

I am so thrilled with my little chickies! I got 3 CCL’s, 2 rhodebars, 3 choc orps, 6 polish tophats and 7 tiny little chicks that I think were bantams? But I don’t know what kind of bantams. I might need some help determining what they are. Some have feathered feet, some don’t and they are all kinds of colors…Oh and a bunch of eggs! I have them setting and will put them in the incubator tonight.

And it was so nice to meet Angela and Kim. And Kim’s pooches…they are a riot!

I didn’t remember to bring a camera…heck I forgot I’d even written that post last night… Ambien is amazing stuff. It does its job and then some, and I only took half a dose!
But maybe when I get back home I can take a picture of the box they sent the chicks in…it was all decorated! They labeled the different compartments with what was in them but had also drawn a train tracks with “Herduck’s Chicken Train” too funny! And poor Kim I think is going to need some noise cancelling hearing protection for her next trip. Those peeps were loud!

Thanks again, Kim...hopefully you are already at your aunt’s house safe and sound! Angela- Thanks for letting us meet at your house!

Now I have to sit here at work for a couple of hours and try to get stuff done when all I want to do is go home and look at my chickies!

Well that was fun!!!

I am so thrilled with my little chickies! I got 3 CCL’s, 2 rhodebars, 3 choc orps, 6 polish tophats and 7 tiny little chicks that I think were bantams? But I don’t know what kind of bantams. I might need some help determining what they are. Some have feathered feet, some don’t and they are all kinds of colors…Oh and a bunch of eggs! I have them setting and will put them in the incubator tonight.

And it was so nice to meet Angela and Kim. And Kim’s pooches…they are a riot!

I didn’t remember to bring a camera…heck I forgot I’d even written that post last night… Ambien is amazing stuff. It does its job and then some, and I only took half a dose!
But maybe when I get back home I can take a picture of the box they sent the chicks in…it was all decorated! They labeled the different compartments with what was in them but had also drawn a train tracks with “Herduck’s Chicken Train” too funny! And poor Kim I think is going to need some noise cancelling hearing protection for her next trip. Those peeps were loud!

Thanks again, Kim...hopefully you are already at your aunt’s house safe and sound! Angela- Thanks for letting us meet at your house!

Now I have to sit here at work for a couple of hours and try to get stuff done when all I want to do is go home and look at my chickies!
It was fun! Still trying to figure out what I got lol but I am happy either way!

I was however jealous that your box was better decorated then mine!

Krafty I got a peek at your new boy and he is lovely! I would have tried to snatch him if he wasn't packed so far in the back of Herducks stuffed truck.
lol.png

I've been wondering... How do you mark chicks so you know who came from which egg and subsequently who it's parents are? Do you have to take each chick out during the hatch?

It was fun! Still trying to figure out what I got lol but I am happy either way!

I was however jealous that your box was better decorated then mine!

Krafty I got a peek at your new boy and he is lovely! I would have tried to snatch him if he wasn't packed so far in the back of Herducks stuffed truck.
lol.png
I am so excited to get him... But I might have to fight Meg for him come May!!
cool.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom