Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty!
love.gif
The first chick looks to be crested to me. The crests don't usually show up until 3-4 weeks old. With a side profile pic of the heads, I could give you a good guess as to which ones will be crested, though.
wink.png

those are pictures of the chicks I had hatch out in SFH. I think I've got a decent color assortment, just don't think there is any more crested in there...

I need more Tolbunt eggs... I think both of mine are girls. Their crests are starting to round their faces. =/

Oh, Hi everyone!
Hope everyone is doing well! I can't keep up with thread unless I check in 5x a day!

Oh, and I just hatched my first 5 LF choc/mauve Orp project chicks this week! Four are choc pullets. I was seriously hoping for a mauve, but it's okay. I have more in the incubator! I am setting my last batch of eggs on the 17th, though. I need to shut the incubator down and clean/disinfect it good and then I'll fire it back up for the Sept swap and my own chicks.

Does anyone have a link or a recommendation on where I can find info about processing my first chicken? I have a light Brahma hen that hurt her leg and has now started picking her own feathers to where she has plucked a bloody hole in her wing. It isn't the other hens; it is her.

I have never killed and butchered an adult, but I hate to waste the meat on this girl as she weighs over 10 lbs. DH refuses to kill one. I could wade my way through the butchering, but I need the best way to kill her.

HELP! Please?

Maybe someone else posted something, IDK, I am still wadding through all the posts today
th.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...cerating-cutting-up-your-chicken-graphic/0_20

There are youtube videos too.

Most of the SFH do not show crests when they are young.  I think 4 weeks is when they show up.  You may be surprised.  Nice color assortment there!
I think you're going to be surprised. Not all crested birds have vaulted skulls. I think you have some crested in there.

I appreciate the info! My crested experience goes as far as polish and silkies so crested to me = huge vaults. Even the non vaulted silkies I had were obviously crested as newly hatched chicks. Well I'm hoping there are some crested in there too! Still going to look arund though for some more.

Waiting on pins and needles for chicks from madam and cj....
fl.gif
I get a call in the am

Based on the interesting discussion today (and I usually just skim posts, I don't read every word, line by line so I oftentimes miss fine details) would like to AGAIN apologize to any and all I may have irked along the way...

And DITTO that communication is key in those events and usually prevents most misunderstandings, especially if we're careful not to put words in each other's mouths (prevention is the best medicine after all) Hopefully we can all understand each other that it's fun and exciting to get something you've been looking forward to.

I, too, am waiting for swaps from last fall but like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, knowing that, well, life happens...

Hoping for a busy summer, DH's low-voltage wiring business is finally picking back up (with the improving construction market), which means he'll need my help talking to people, ordering supplies and answering questions, which hopefully also means I can cut back my hours at work... That would be fabulous, really don't like not seeing my kiddos and spending the time with them they deserve...

Last edited:

I'm guessing crested here and this chick is so much bigger and is fat compared to the others!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom