Hatching eggs that were stored pointy side up question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hannakat, Mar 30, 2011.

1. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Someone I know asked me to hatch some of his chicken's eggs. I said 'sure'. When he arrived with the eggs (this is someone who has enough chickens that he sells them also), I found that they were all pointy side up in the carton. Kinda flabbergasted! Just thought everyone knew to put the pointy side down [​IMG]

I rearranged them and let them sit for a day, then candled them. The air sack seemed pretty much okay so I put them in the bator. So, day 7 and only 1 is clear, no development. These are blue eggs so it's a bit hard to see exactly whats going on in there.

My question is about some that seem to be floating in there. Is this okay for day 7?

2. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I want to post a followup to this just in case someone else finds themself in this position.

Out of 14 eggs, 13 made it to lockdown, 10 of those 13 hatched [​IMG]. There were 3 that had difficulty because of the air sack being in the wrong position but all 10 are doing fantastic now.

I see it as a testiment to what an egg/chick can do!! Of the 3 that didn't hatch, all were late quitters [​IMG]

Just wanted to share their story and their pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    The dark one with the light face in the very back is SOOOO CUUUTE!!!

I'm glad they hatched for you [​IMG]

4. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    They are so cute. Thanks for the information.

5. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    They are adorable! ....AARGH!! I'm going crazy here! I have Speckled Sussex eggs in my 'bator, due for lockdown tomorrow and I feel like a kid at Christmas, I'm so excited! This will be my second hatch - my first one went well with eggs from my mixed bantam flock. (Note to self: breathe deeply, calm down, stay busy) [​IMG]

thanks for the info regarding the wonky air sacs. Good to know there's hope for 'em.

6. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Thanks....I think they're pretty cute too! [​IMG]

Have fun watching your little ones hatch NorthTexasChick [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. effie

effie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    West(by god) Virginia
    So,being new,I have a stupid question -when you take the eggs from your flocks to incubate-do you put them back with your chickens or do you raise them in the house for a few weeks like you would if you had ordered or bought them?????
    I am supposing you keep them as the mothers weren't broody to begin with.

8. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    No question is stupid! I keep them in the house with a heat light for a couple weeks, then move them to the garage with the heat light for a few weeks. It's still cool where we live. I will introduce them to my little flock when they are bigger.

9. tailfluff

tailfluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually I didn't know about storing them pointy-side-down either! I store mine on their sides and turn them a couple of times a day while I'm storing them before they go into the incubator. Any downsides to this? [​IMG] I'm just trying to learn all I can! If there are better methods out there I definitely would like to know about them. And congratulations on the babies... [​IMG] They're so cute!!

10. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I love the decorative eggs in your photographs! Are they glass?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by