hatching eggs with broody mama 1st time!!

BrittanyandLola

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
Illinois
I had a hen go broody on me for my first time. She has been broody for about 5-6 days now and since I have been looking for more silkie babies I decided after reading up on it to have her hatch me some eggs! I ordered them off ebay yesterday and they should arrive Saturday. She is my ONLY laying hen. I have 2 silkie roos, 2 6mo easter egger hens and 2 6mo australorp hens. (also have 4 week and a half old silkie babies in my bathtub in the house...) They all share a small 13max chicken coop and they free range over an acre. She wont get in the box I provided for privacy and i dont have anywhere else but a packed shed to put her. I read so many different ways to doing things. Any advice will be helpful as to what you would do as far as is she ok to stay in the coop? should I take her out and keep her in a wire cage in the shed? she wont even get in the darn box.. I dont want to stress her too bad. :) thank you all!!

I had a hen go broody on me for my first time. She has been broody for about 5-6 days now and since I have been looking for more silkie babies I decided after reading up on it to have her hatch me some eggs! I ordered them off ebay yesterday and they should arrive Saturday. She is my ONLY laying hen. I have 2 silkie roos, 2 6mo easter egger hens and 2 6mo australorp hens. (also have 4 week and a half old silkie babies in my bathtub in the house...) They all share a small 13max chicken coop and they free range over an acre. She wont get in the box I provided for privacy and i dont have anywhere else but a packed shed to put her. I read so many different ways to doing things. Any advice will be helpful as to what you would do as far as is she ok to stay in the coop? should I take her out and keep her in a wire cage in the shed? she wont even get in the darn box.. I dont want to stress her too bad. :) thank you all!!

Since there are no other laying hens, her nest is not disturbed? If the hen's privacy is not being invaded there is no reason why she can't stay in the coop where she is. I do not separate my broody hens from the other birds until the chicks hatch-and then only for a few days to ensure that all the chicks are eating, drinking, and have gotten the mobility to avoid others of the flock that might hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom