Hatching Eggs

MelissaBA

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
I have a question. I am considering buying some hatching eggs from someone. Thing is, they told me the eggs have been sitting at a constant temp. for 2 months. Is that possible that they can still hatch after sitting that long?

Well that's kind of what I thought but he said that he has had them for 2 months at a temp. of 70 degrees. I just never heard of this and wanted to be sure.

Highly unlikely that they will hatch. As stated above, anything stored for more than 10 days has a slim to none chance at hatching. I wouldn't incubate anything more than 7 days old myself.

I wouldn't say it is impossible, but I will say it is so highly improbable that it is all but -- because there is bound to be that one person who has had it happen. I certainly would not spend a penny on those odds - I wouldn't even be inclined to waste my time and investment (either in lost production of a broody or the expense of running the incubator) if these eggs were offered free knowing what you have posted about them.

Thanks so much for the advice...I have told this person I do not want these eggs. I didn't think hatching would even be possible after sitting for 2 months.

I've seen a post where someone was selling hatching eggs without a rooster in their flock and argued when the buyer said they wouldn't hatch lol. Just because someone sells something it doesn't mean they know what they are doing and this sounds like another case of that. I wonder if they have gotten confused with how to store eggs long term for eating.

Could be...this guy claimed he also hatched out eggs that had been sitting for almost 8 months....which I knew was not possible! LOL

Back
Top Bottom