hatching geese eggs

Hi Critterranch

From a white gander to a brown goose I think you'll get 50% Dilute Males and 50% White Females. White to White = 100% White offspring
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Began the rocking this evening on the toulouse eggs. Hope they do well. I was able to visualize veining in a second egg today (well yesterday now, sorry I work nights), and air cells appeared to be more stable.

Hi All

Buffbeauty -sorry to hear about the rising water levels. The BBC are now givering wide coverage to the problem and the level of the Mississippi! I do feel for all those folks who are suffering flooding in their homes.

Highlander - I would try some soluble multi-vitamins and/or Brewers Yeast. Is there any progress with the duckling today?

We've more Toulouse eggs due to hatch over weekend and all progressing well. However this warm dry Spring appears to have brought egg laying to a close and most of the Toulouse are dropping a few feathers and looking a little shabby around their keel area. If we can hatch some the remaining eggs from our other Buff female (and providing we get at least one male) then I'll be very pleased with the breeding season. We have a very nice male gosling split for Buff and from our Holderread gander so I think he'll be our best result this season. Have other grey goslings from our Holderread so it'll be nice to run that group on and select later for size and type.

The good news is our ONLY fertile egg from the young Rouen pair has now externally pipped. Had hoped for a lot better fertility but the young Drake has started to moult! Incubated the egg with the goose eggs so had a lower than recommended temperature and humidity (37.2C and 25% humidity). Now Day 27 and has excellent air cell size and lost exactly 16% weight during incubation. The result rather goes against conventional wisdom that duck eggs require increased humidity. As its externally pipped its now in 65-70% humidity. I'll keep you posted if it hatches or fails.

80310_rouen-ip-ant.jpg
80310_rouen-ip-lat.jpg
80310_rouen-ep1.jpg

Pictures show Rouen egg - Internal Pipping from front and side views. The egg Externally Pipped and showing final air cell size and shape in pencil.

Pete
wink.png

Last edited:
Hi all, really gotta hand it to Pete, my batch no 5 has hatched and I've got 5 out of 8 eggs!!!! All only thanks to his wisdom and help, the first to pip was the egg with the air cell on the side, it did need a bit of help in the end and I also had one pip out of the pointed end, that one is still in the hatcher as I helped after about 14hrs because I was worried it would start to turn and suffocate, it's still got quite a big balloon of egg to absorb yet but fingers crossed.......but heres the little guys, well hopefully girls!

86390_dscf2086.jpg

cheers Pete
thumbsup.gif

Happy hatching everyone, I've got another 9 due next Tuesday
ya.gif

Last edited:
YES!!! - CONGRATULATIONS
thumbsup.gif

I've been waiting to hear good news for you and very very well deserved
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

So 5 out of 8
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Im so pleased for you
big_smile.png

Is the little one with the unabsorbed yolk sac still in it's shell?

Pete
wink.png

Hi All

Isnt that great news above for mtacagni
wink.png

We're anticipating the Rouen duckling to hatch today and I've just cooled the Dewlap eggs and found I've got one internally pipped from our other Buff female
fl.gif
Been waiting to prove this female as its a completely unrelated line, a Grey Canadian Gander to a Buff Goose from John Hall. As it's her maiden eggs it's a bit of result as both parents are 2010 hatched. Think it'll be Monday before it hatches so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Just need to pray for a male gosling to carry the buff gene
bow.gif

Our other Toulouse goslings are growing so fast and the son from the other buff female to the Holderread gander is beginning to look rather nice
wink.png

At the moment the incubators have all been set for the Dewlaps and the conditions have also hatched Button Quail (for my daughter). All of the 6 eggs I set hatched which shows even low humidity gets results for this species
smile.png
However I'll have to free up one incubator soon as I've got Macaw eggs due in a week.

80310_cpq1.jpg

As Im pushed for incubator space I've treated myself to a new incubator. I've ordered an R-Com Pro 20 with the USB link and computer programme. Although it can be set for individual breeds I think I'll manually set it for my own preferences. Looking forward to running the incubation analysis on the PC. I've heard very good reports about them so I thought it was time to get one myself. Heard they're excellent for temperature stability but Ill check with my mercury thermometers and Brinsea Spot Check to be certain.

Cant wait to get my new toy now
wee.gif

Pete
wink.png

Congratulations to mtacagni on her great hatch. Im glad we have all done so well for our 1st time incubating goose eggs. Mine are getting big now, their tail feathers are comin gin and above their wings too. 1 of them Juno, he looks purple..ok not purple but a pale lillac, his feathers are such a pretty colour, I cant wait for them to hurry and grow so I can see what colours they are going to be.
Leap was the last to be born from the biggest eggs and was huge compared to the others, now Inka & Juno have taken over and Leap is the smallest by a mile, do the coloured Sebbies become bigger than the white Sebbies, I think I read somewhere that the whites are smaller, well, Leap is a white so maybe that has something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom