Hatching Muscovies in a frig-a-bator

CasualT

Chirping
8 Years
May 9, 2012
I made a frig-a-bator and am on week 2 of hatching chickens and so far, all are developing nicely. Next in is going to be muscovy eggs and I'm not sure what I need to do for humidity. Following my mother's advice I'm doing a "dry" hatch and staying under 50% humidity. Apparently that's what works best around here. What do I need to change for the muscovies incubation? I'm still having issues keeping the temp steady, it varies 97-99, it was 99-102, but with all the eggs developing I don't want to mess with the temp in case I screw up and fry my eggs.

With my duck and goose eggs, I keep them at 99.5 and the humidity at 30-35% for the majority of incubation. After a week of incubating, I start daily cooling (momma gets off her nest to eat and drink everyday). I cool for 15-20 mins. You could probably pull them out of the incubator and take the opportunity to candle some of those days. I also start misting the eggs around the same time. I use a spray bottle with warm water, spray them, then cool. Once I see an external pip, I raise the humidity to 60-70%. You can go into lockdown sooner if you want, that's just my method. Little extra care than chicken eggs but this helps raise the hatch rates of waterfowl.

Back
Top Bottom